Vegetarian chili.

This really is the best vegetarian chili (or any kind of chili, really) recipe, honestly. I make a big pot of it just about every other week and freeze it in containers for lunches and dinners.

Vegetarian Chili

1 tsp ground cumin
1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
1 1/2 tsp dried basil
2 tsp kosher salt
1/2 cup bulgar wheat
1/4 cup balsamic vinegar

Heat oil in a large pot. Add onions, carrots and garlic; sauté until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes. Add yellow pepper, jalapenos, celery and chili powder; cook another 10 minutes. Add tomatoes, beans (with liquid), corn, salt and spices. Bring to a boil. Cover, lower heat, and simmer for 20 minutes. Stir in bulgar wheat. Cover and simmer at least 30 minutes (I usually let everything simmer for a couple of hours to let the flavors really develop, but it’s okay to take it off when the veggies and bulgar are soft), stirring occasionally to prevent sticking. Just as you’re taking the chili off the heat, stir in the balsamic vinegar. I know it might seem weird to put it in, but trust me—it really does make the chili taste extra amazing.

*I take the easy route and use canned beans and tomatoes. You can soak dried beans and use fresh tomatoes if you prefer, of course, but you will want to add water to make up for the liquid in the cans.

1. AdamOct 12, 200710:37 am

This sounds delicious! My mother makes a very good vegetarian chili, and also a very good one using ground turkey, which I have in my fridge right now!

2. devonOct 15, 20084:41 pm

i know this is an old post but i made this last weekend and it is AMAZING!

3. FionaJan 30, 20097:21 am

I will try it. Epicurious has a very good vegetarian chili recipe (called Full O’ Beans chili) but yours has actually vegetables.

4. TaruJan 30, 200910:21 am

I use these Pyrex glassware containers for storage and they’re awesome. I keep some cutlery at my desk too so I don’t have to use plastic spoons and forks. Makes a homemade meal at work even more sophisticated.

5. TaruJan 30, 200910:22 am
  6. KristenJan 30, 200911:16 am

I’m so excited to find this recipe! I can’t wait to make it! I love chili but I no longer eat red meat so this is great! Thanks!

7. MichelleJan 30, 200912:01 pm

in response to taru, i was just in sam’s (or was it cosco? it was one or the other) the other day and they have the same (maybe slight variation in sizes) pyrex containers for $29.99! they also have these korean made glass containers for the same price. i personally like the tops on the korean ones, but both do the job of storing wonderfully!

oh and definitely going to try and make this chili. =) i have one recipe that has just a little bit of meat, but it seems to be missing some zest.

8. JennyJan 31, 20092:28 pm

Just got all the ingredients this morning so we can make this for Sunday/Superbowl. I’m also going to do the Martha Stewart Everyday Food sloppy joe sliders with corn bread. Woo!

9. Case RienstraFeb 1, 20098:21 am

Thanks for the great recipe!

This surely will make the difference where we live.

We even got that balsamic vinegar here now and look forward to the twist it’ll give to this pot.

Case Rienstra

10. ChrissyFeb 22, 20094:17 am

I just made this recipe… thanks so much for sharing it! The only thing I think I will change in the future is putting in about half as much of the balsamic. I tasted the chili before adding balsamic and it was AMAZING and then afterwards I felt like the other flavors were overwhelmed… it became the main thing I notice. I’m hoping it will blend in more by tomorrow, which is when I’ll be serving this for guests. Just thought I’d mention it so if anyone else makes this they can weigh how much they love that taste before going for the full amount. Thank you again… this is really delicious and I hope others give it a shot. It’s fun to make (and pretty easy) and looks beautiful with all the different colors.

11. JonesyFeb 22, 200911:50 pm

Chrissy … I did make this with half the amount of balsamic as I was worried that using a 1/4 cup would overwhelm the taste of the chili. It was delicious … the chili had a depth of flavor that my previous chili did not have.

Anna, thanks for the tip on using balsamic – what a difference!

12. [...] tried many different recipes, and none of them have come even CLOSE to this one. I borrow it from Door Sixteen. It’s delicious, [...]

13. celieJun 1, 200912:09 am

hi anna! I’m making your recipe for the second time tonight, it’s amazing, thanks for sharing it!

14. AliciaJun 13, 200911:07 pm

I just made this tonight! So delicious! Used half the balsamic as recommended. Thanks for the recipe, Anna.

15. KarenSep 13, 20094:35 pm

I made this today – the start of football season always seems to call for chili, and I’m trying to eat more veggies, so this seemed like a good day to try it. I should have made a double batch – it is outstanding! Thank you – this earns immediate paper-protector status in my recipe binder – I’ll be making this often!

16. [...] this recipe has been printed and saved in my notebook o’ recipes for months now, but i’ve only just cooked it for the first time tonight. i found it on door sixteen ages ago. we made only the teeniest, tiniest alterations. it’s hearty, spicy, and filling. the ingredients serve 6-8 people, so make sure you have a pot big enough. i used a big red le creuset pot which you can see in the background. the photo below is of phil’s portion (most of the photos on this blog are, since he is the photographer!) complete with a couple of slices of soda bread. [...]

17. ThislovelycitySep 30, 20097:41 pm

I made this last week! It was amazing & my carnivore hubby didn’t even miss the meat! Thanks for sharing!

xo, thislovelycity.

18. AnEmilyOct 3, 20097:07 pm

I’ve made this chili before, and it’s become my all-time favorite. I’ve got a pot on the stove now, although I accidentally put in catnip instead of oregano! I’ll let you know how it meow.

19. [...] Vegetarian Chili [...]

20. JesDec 2, 200911:56 am

This recipe is delicious, thank you! I’ve made it twice now, it’s perfect for a party!

I added a yellow squash and two parsnips :)

21. ChristineDec 25, 20094:07 pm

I’ve made this and it is DELICIOUS!! My mom also raved about it! Thanks!

22. [...] and desserts, granola bars, Crockpot anything (other than my mother’s, my favorite chili is Door Sixteen’s vegetarian chili, you WILL NOT MISS THE MEAT, [...]

23. [...] pots of veggie chili pictured here are from Anna at Door Sixteen who also claims to make the best veggie chili. I will leave it up to you to get cooking and see [...]