Year-round menorah?

Evan gave me Jonathan Adler’s ‘Skyline’ menorah for my birthday, and we managed to remember to light the candles at least 5 nights this year (a record for us!). Now that the holidays are over, though, I don’t feel like packing the menorah away—it’s too pretty.

Is it weird to leave a Hanukkah menorah up all year round? I’m on the fence with this one.

p.s. The horn penguins are from Feel Design in Beacon (RIP). I don’t know what they’re talking about, but it sure is juicy!

1. JHJan 13, 20093:50 pm

I think you should store the menorah away. That way its special when you bring it out each holiday season.

2. MarisaJan 13, 20093:56 pm

My grandmother has a really beautiful one (it’s a stone sculpture, essentially) that she leaves out year round. It never seemed at all odd to me – it’s in a good spot, and it matches her decor.

3. http://b-living.blogspot.comJan 13, 20093:57 pm

You lucky girl! I think you should leave it up! It’s stunning! My mantra is to use the things I love to pieces. It is such a classic piece, it’s easy to incorporate in your decor all year around.

4. heatherJan 13, 20094:02 pm

Nah, don’t put it away – it can work as a candelabra too. I love penguin gossip.

5. erin@designcrisisJan 13, 20094:09 pm

I know this is pathetically ignorant, but I wouldn’t have known it was a menorah if you hadn’t said so. I say, keep it up year round!

6. jess@thehomeboundJan 13, 20094:11 pm

I think you can do whatever you like, it’s your house. It is really beautiful.

7. Anne (in Reno)Jan 13, 20094:15 pm

I hope you don’t mind, I blogged about your living room pillows (as inspiration). Let me know if you would like me to take the picture down.

That said, I think that menorah is gorgeous and I would leave it up year-round if I had it, for sure! It’s not screamingly holiday-looking, it just looks like a very hip candelabra.

8. TreeJan 13, 20094:17 pm

If the menorah makes you happy, I would leave it up.

9. Michele in Boston, MAJan 13, 20094:18 pm

Dear D16-
    ‘Am totally in love with the black paint you selected. I just checked B.M.’s website to order a sample and no record came up on “Toucan Black”. Do you have the color no. ?
    Thanks.
    P.S. I agree with the other comments. Leave the menorah out. It’s a beauty.

10. AverillJan 13, 20094:25 pm

Leave it up — it’s beautiful and there’s no reason it can’t be used all year. If the shape diverges from the traditional menorah (like yours), then the only real difference between a menorah and a candelabra is how many candles it holds and what meaning you attach to it. Besides, there are plenty of candelabras that could double duty as menorahs (the manzanita candelabra at West Elm comes to mind — which even holds the mini tapers!).

11. Anna at D16Jan 13, 20094:25 pm

Anne: Of course I don’t mind! I’ll go check out your post now. :)

Michele: Toucan Black is # 2118-20. Were you looking in the Virtual Fan Deck? It came up for me there, but not in the samples area (not all shades are available as samples). It’s a gorgeous color — inky-black with purple undertones. I’m not really a purple-person, but it adds a richness to the black that is really luscious!

12. ShashiJan 13, 20095:06 pm

The menorah is beautiful, keep it up!

13. DanJan 13, 20095:38 pm

I WANT THAT MENORAH. I’d say leave it up!… it’s so not-menorah looking, too, that I don’t think anyone would just assume that that’s what it is. Just don’t put blue and white candlesticks in it or nothin and it’ll look right at home anytime of the year.

14. lynnJan 13, 20095:38 pm

please keep it on display. it’s gorgeous.
    remember it’s a symbol of light, and peace.
    so behold it’s beauty and love it.

15. -M-Jan 13, 20096:01 pm

As a menorah it’s so pretty and it reminds you of something important so it’s be nice to keep out. That said, personally I have to store things like this away since I look forward to taking them out at special times of the year, having something to look forward to! :)

16. AdamJan 13, 20097:16 pm

It s very sculptural and abstract, so I would keep it up. Plus you really seem to love it, so why not keep it out to enjoy looking at it? Evan has great taste!

17. DewiJan 13, 20097:38 pm

Leave it out.
    Jews of my mothers age all over New York City have curio cabinets filled with menorah’s (why own just one!!) you can start collecting all the fantastic modern ones made, and passover Seder plates and misc things used to celebrate our Jewish holidays. Shabbat candle sticks they carried from Europe with them, sat on handmade lace on my grandmothers table waiting for Friday night.

My mother and all her friends adore displaying everything Jewish all year long, carry on the tradition ;)
    Have fun you might have found a new contemporary niche collection.

18. lindsayJan 13, 20097:42 pm

It has great sculptural qualities and I think every room needs something shiny…especially when you hold back on color. What a clever gift!

19. TamiJan 13, 20098:03 pm

Like others before me…I wouldn’t have known it was a menorah. It’s beautiful, and I too would vote on leaving it up!

20. shingJan 13, 20098:07 pm

I love your blog.

I have a stumpy fake christmas tree that’s been on my bookshelf since 2007. Definitely not as classy as your menorah!

21. JennyJan 13, 20099:20 pm

it’s beautiful – stunning! I don’t know the observant thing to do, but it’s so lovely, and has such meaning, I think leave it out and admire it and what it stands for all the time.

22. kay*Jan 13, 200910:02 pm

i think it’s beautiful and if you love it should leave it out. i would. it’s to pretty to be put away in a box or closet.

23. paisley penguinJan 13, 200910:21 pm

I think leaving it out all year round is a good thing. And this Menorah is so sculptural and great!

24. miss ripleyJan 13, 200911:23 pm

I vote for keeping it out. It’s a work of art, and not something that screams Hannukah. I love Jonathon Adler… my friend gave me his salt and pepper fish for Christmas and I’m so tickled by them.

25. estherJan 13, 200911:41 pm

Leave the Menorah out!
    I am new to you blog and love it …love he NY edge….
    love the way you take pictures in the office bathroom!

Cheers from Seattle

26. AnaJan 14, 20091:12 am

I also have an adler menorah and I keep it up year round. If you love it keep it where you can see it.

27. eMJan 14, 20092:17 am

i vote leave it if you love it

28. InbarJan 14, 20095:38 am

I have massive Menorah envy!

29. CatherineJan 14, 20096:08 am

It is very beautiful!

30. RosieJan 14, 20096:17 am

You like it? You leave it!

31. TaniaJan 14, 20098:28 am

It’s such a lovely piece it should be on display.

32. AprilJan 14, 20099:06 am

You can totally keep it up! It’s beautiful!

33. HeatherJan 14, 20099:26 am

I have a Christmas elf that stays out year round, and then there are always a couple of ornaments I can’t stand to put away. They work their way into un-Christmas vignettes and seem right at home. That said, it would be a shame to put that beautiful menorah away!

34. ChelseaJan 14, 200911:00 am

On the contrary. i say it would be a shame to pack it up! I’m with erin@designcrisis: I wouldn’t have actually known it was a menorah if you hadn’t mentioned it. Leave it out, and enjoy it!

35. jjaJan 14, 200911:35 am

I would leave it. It is beautiful, you like it and…you don’t need more reasons…

36. SarahJan 14, 20096:04 pm

I’m selling that very menorah in my shop and I’ve been tempted to leave the last one out for sale. I think it can absolutely stay out year round, its so gorgeous. In fact, I leave my Jonathan Adler ornaments out in my home year round, so there you go!

37. JenJan 15, 20097:48 am

A relative got us a “real” mennorah last year (uses oil) and it’s so beautiful I keep it out all the time. I also have a Rosenthal dreidel that is too pretty to store. So there!

38. EmilyJan 15, 20097:47 pm

i discovered Door 16 through the apartmenttheapy comopetition (that sadly became so unpleasant for you!), and I’ve been silently following your site ever since…you have fantastic taste!
    But…I live in Beacon, and you mentioned Feel Design, and I was sooo very sad when they closed that I was hoping you might know if they had relocated or were truly closed for good.
    I love your blog, btw, and it’s so nice to read about your finds and treasures from places that are close to home for me!

39. Anna at D16Jan 15, 200911:57 pm

Emiy: I don’t know if Feel Design relocated — I just came over there one day and they were closed/gone! Very sad. It was a great little shop!

40. LiviJan 21, 20093:49 pm

put it in your fireplace – pretty!