Art + Design

Collect/Cabinet.

Lest I be accused of only liking black and white (which definitely is not the case!), I must share this piece of furniture with you that I came across on Purple Area earlier today:

It’s the Collect/Cabinet, designed by Sara Larsson for Swedish design studio A2. This is the kind of color I like! This is color that really means it.

The first thing I thought of when I saw this cabinet (right after, “I WANT THAT IN MY HOUSE”) was this painting by Ellsworth Kelly from 1951, Colors for a Large Wall:

Uncanny, no? And just in case anyone wants to buy me a present, I think either the painting or the cabinet would tie in very nicely with the colors in my front hallway:

(Yes, I’m still alive—I’m just that kind of busy where the days all run together and the next thing I know, it’s a week later and I can’t remember what I was so busy doing.)

Previous Post Next Post

Other Stuff You Might Be Into

18 Comments

• Reply read me... May 6, 2009 at 4:53 am

Great painting, and love the cabinet! Missing my daily Dorset Steam fix — was talking to a friend about your wonderful blog, and she thought I was saying that as opposed to Door Sixteen. Sorry, it’s kind of stuck now.

• Reply Klara May 6, 2009 at 6:24 am

I love the cabinet you have in the hallway, (I have a similar one but since the top is damaged maybe a marble-plate could do the trick..) The cabinet from A2 is very cool.

I just started following this blog, its a great source of inspiration, keep up the good work!

Klara

• Reply Karrey May 6, 2009 at 11:24 am

The cabinet is lovely, and would DEFINITELY tie in nicely with your front entry. I can’t wait to get to your level of “doneness” where everything is a work in progress, but to outside spectators it actually looks done. Sigh.

• Reply Live a Colorful Life May 6, 2009 at 11:55 am

The cabinet and painting–very cool. But what I REALLY want is the coat hook on your wall. Love.It. Did you already post where you got it? Probably so…

• Reply Anna at D16 May 6, 2009 at 12:44 pm

Klara: The top on my credenza was damaged, too, so I had that slab of marble cut to fit. It’s not attached at all, the weight just holds it in place.

LaCL: The coat rack is an Eames Hang-it-All (google it, there are a bunch of retailers). I blogged about it here, but that was over a year ago!

• Reply kelly w May 6, 2009 at 12:58 pm

@ read me: ‘Dorset Steam’– hilarious!

@ Anna: love, love, love, and once again, lucky for you I live in SF, because otherwise I would probably keep turning up on your porch asking to come in and see your rad entryway.

• Reply reva May 6, 2009 at 1:17 pm

love the cabinet!

• Reply joanne May 6, 2009 at 2:37 pm

look at that credenza love it love it love it!! lovely style.

• Reply from the right bank May 6, 2009 at 7:46 pm

Oh how much do I love Ellsworth Kelly? You get the cabinet, I’ll take the painting.

• Reply Dewi May 7, 2009 at 10:55 am

Not that you need another project.
    But you can easily paint this yourself.
    The back of your door would be a natural for a color block painting.

• Reply Down Comforter May 8, 2009 at 11:00 am

I really like both pieces – the pop of colors would be a nice addition 🙂

• Reply Emma May 9, 2009 at 10:00 am

Oh that cabinet is great! Makes me think of an old television in a way, not sure exactly why.

• Reply Klara May 12, 2009 at 3:07 am

I saw in a second hand one where they put glass on top, I think one day Id like to try with milky white glass, I should give it a go in photoshop at least.. Nice to see a good solution for it!

• Reply Kristy May 14, 2009 at 1:49 pm

I saw this today and thought immediately of you. I think you might like this item.

• Reply Erin June 23, 2009 at 3:32 pm

Look what I found while searching for ikea rugs on ebay. This person is using your photo to sell the striped rug you have in your entryway!

By the way, thank you for your awesome blog. I will be checking in regularly to see what you have up your sleeve next – so inspiring!

• Reply Angie July 2, 2009 at 2:50 pm

Where is that cool print from–the one with the colorful flags/triangles? Love it!

• Reply Anna at D16 July 2, 2009 at 7:59 pm

Angie: The print is by one of my favorite illustrators, Elisabeth Dunker. She has a great blog here: http://finelittleday.blogspot.com/
    I don’t know if she has any more of this poster left, sadly, but if you check her shop links in her right-hand column, you’ll find some other lovely creations. 🙂

• Reply Angie July 7, 2009 at 3:23 pm

Thanks for the quick reply! I actually came across her blog a while ago and did not think to connect the two. I appreciate your help 🙂