Art + Design

Kristine Mandsberg for IKEA.

VARMT HUND fabric from IKEA, 59″ wide (39″ repeat) / $3.99 per yard

One of my favorite things about IKEA is that they almost always attach the name of the designer to their products. This isn’t a practice that’s typically associated with lower-cost retailers, but it is in line with IKEA’s emphasis on promoting “good design for all”. When I saw IKEA’s new VARMT HUND textile design, I immediately looked for the name on the tag: Danish textile designer, illustrator and artist Kristine Mandsberg.

After Googling her name and discovering Mandsberg’s website, I became an immediate fan. Interiors, collages, clothing, and even an opera! Very cool stuff, and she’s probably someone I would never have come across without IKEA giving her credit for her work. I wish other retailers would do the same thing.

All images from KristineMandsberg.com.

Previous Post Next Post

Other Stuff You Might Be Into

13 Comments

• Reply CapreeK May 10, 2010 at 10:22 pm

Wow – her work is fantastic!! Thanks for the great find. I’m off to go explore her site! 🙂

• Reply Pauline May 11, 2010 at 6:24 am

I’m loving the pattern with the mushrooms!

• Reply chika May 11, 2010 at 8:18 am

i was surprised when i saw this printed dog! o-O
    i saw them in 2 of my favorite blogs in a row today. check out Svanna’s! http://carpeitem.blogspot.com/ i guess Anna and Svanna have a kind of same taste;-)

• Reply kellee May 11, 2010 at 9:30 am

Hey Anna

Thanks for the pointer on Kristine Mandsberg. I love that about Ikea too. There’s a British store, I’m sure you’ve heard of – Habitat – that does the same. They’re a bit pricier than Ikea, but their aesthetic is similar, and they always work with up and coming designers and really push them by producing their work on a variety of goods – glassware, crockery, table linen, notebooks etc and spread them throughout the store.
    I was in my local shop nabbing up some Hennie Haworth-designed cups and glasses a few months ago, and there were a couple of women standing near me looking at the same range, umming and ahhing. I uncharacteristically spoke to them, and told them they should scoop them up, as she’s going to be a big name. They looked at me like I’d just barked like a dog. (Apparently some people don’t like being advised what to buy by a stranger.)
    Oh well, more Hennie stuff for me.

Here’s some links, in case you’re interested:

• Reply Anna at D16 May 11, 2010 at 9:37 am

@chika: Thanks for the link to Svanna’s site! I’d never seen it before, but it appears we do have similar taste. 🙂

@kellee: Yes, I am familiar with Habitat (they are owned by IKEA!), but sadly we don’t have them in the US. Off to check out Hennie Haworth now. Thanks!!

• Reply carrie leber May 11, 2010 at 12:17 pm

the sort of crazy looking pug on top is really cool. Ikea is such a lifesaver sometimes.

• Reply Jason May 11, 2010 at 12:42 pm

And kudos to you for showcasing her here.
    Lovely stuff.

• Reply Rosa, Copenhagen May 11, 2010 at 6:50 pm

I’ve been following your blog now for almost a year – lurking while enjoying your style, your DIY-skills, your great photos and your great ability to find interesting “stuff” around the web.

And now you’ve found a danish artist I didn’t know – cool!

“Varmt hund” is actually a nonsense-title – if the artist had called it “Varm hund” (without the “t”) it could be translated to “Hot dog” – which gives me funny pictures and makes me giggle;-)

• Reply kellee May 11, 2010 at 7:07 pm

Oh yeah, I do vaguely recall hearing about Ikea buying out Habitat. I really like both stores, but the nearest Ikea to where I live is a three hour car ride away, so it’s a rare treat. I did manage to get a friend to pick me up some fabric a while ago though, so I’m all stocked up with Cilla Ramnek material for a while. Think you might like her work too (the pieces I have are also on a black and white tip):

• Reply melanirae May 14, 2010 at 8:44 am

Love her! Great find 🙂 IKEA’s textiles have been shite lately, but this is very cool. Here’s hoping for more stuff like this.

• Reply Jessica December 31, 2010 at 9:01 pm

Would love to see if could find her fabric of a bird sitting on a hand in red. I found the fabric in a purple color (called Monalis) at IKEA today, but wanted to use the fabric to frame for artwork. Any ideas?

• Reply John Michaelson March 11, 2011 at 7:55 pm

Ms. Mandsberg designed a fabric for Ikea named Monalis. It is no longer available on their website. Does anyone know where Ican find it?

• Reply Anna @ D16 March 11, 2011 at 8:47 pm

John, IKEA never sells their fabrics online—you have to buy them in the store.