Frivolity and excess, with nice packaging.

I couldn’t resist. The second I saw the limited-edition Walnut Hang-It-All, I had to order one. Considering I have absolutely no idea where or for what I could use in in the house or the apartment, this was really one of my more frivolous purchases. I try not to buy things I don’t have a clear purpose for owning, but…geez, look at this thing!

I love how much consideration was put into designing the enclosed paperwork and even the envelope containing the screws and wall anchors. I even recognize the paper stock as being from the Eames collection from Neenah Paper.

Isn’t the shipping box beautiful? You know how much I love those lines and dots! Great packaging and attention to detail are important to me. Silly though it may be, I wouldn’t have been half as excited to pull the Hang-It-All out of a plain cardboard box.

1. PeggySep 19, 201010:19 am

I don’t blame you for purchasing it. It’s fabulous!! I wonder if it could be used in a kitchen to hang utensils from?

2. simoneSep 19, 201010:19 am

Lucky you :) The packaging is indeed gorgeous. Sometimes we need to indulge ourselves with things we don’t need. As long as we don’t do it too often ;)

3. I am obsessed with walnut ! Most of my furniture is antique & walnut …
    I am in love with this ! Urgh ! It might be hard to find in France …
    x x x
    -m-

4. Anna at D16Sep 19, 201010:26 am

@Peggy: It’s bigger than it looks—really way too large to use for something like that in any kind of practical way. It wouldn’t even make sense for hanging aprons (unless you have a LOT of aprons, and I only have one!). It’s really best suited as a hanger for coats or other clothing articles.

@Mathyld: You can look for dealers in France here!

5. kim@dtiSep 19, 201010:36 am

I ordered one and it arrived on Thursday. I too fell in love with all the packaging. And it’s even more gorgeous than I imagined. Worth every penny.

6. DanSep 19, 201011:14 am

oh my goodness, I’m simultaneously very happy for you and so jealous! And then you had to go and take beautiful pictures on the beautiful office floor, just to rub it in. Honestly, Anna, it’s kind of indecent. :-)

You’ll find a place (my house, preferably), beautiful things like that don’t just stay homeless for too long.

7. jennifer in sfSep 19, 20102:04 pm

Oh sweet Jesus. You are trying my resolve!! So beautiful. Have no place for it. Argh!

8. BenitaSep 19, 20102:56 pm

Åh jäklar vad snygg! I’m not into walnut but when I saw it for the first time I was lusting! I don’t have space for it but it may just be one of those things I need and will save “for later”.

9. MelanieSep 19, 20105:13 pm

Utterly, utterly gorgeous! I *was* thinking traditional bentwood hatstand for our walnut-furnished guest room, but this (if I can convince hubby to spend that much…) would be perfect!

10. DeborahSep 19, 20106:25 pm

Oh, how much do I want this – and we wouldn’t be able to actually hang it up until we bought a place of our own. Still! Wanty!

11. MaggieSep 19, 20107:58 pm

I know what you mean, I am such a sucker for packaging.

12. elissa @ faucetheadSep 19, 20109:19 pm

so jealous! i’ve been eye-ing this for ages. just might be time to bite the bullet.

13. julieSep 20, 201012:58 am

I’ve been thinking about getting one of these shipped to Australia, I love it so much! I’ve got the multi one too so it feels a touch frivolous as you were saying but one of those things that you may really regret not doing later. They won’t be around forever. The walnut balls look a lot darker in your photo than in the product shot, are they??

14. JessSep 20, 20101:56 am

I loved it as soon as I saw it too! But it’s very expensive when converting to Australian dollars and having it shipped here – I am trying my hardest not to buy it! I’m curious like Julie above – the walnut balls do look a lot darker in your pic than on all the promo photos where they have more honey tones. Oh how I’d love to see one in the flesh before buying it!

15. EllaSep 20, 20103:39 am

It’s a beaut! I like it more than the colourful original.

16. CharlotteSep 20, 20106:24 am

It’s awesome. I have been hankering after one too, might have to put this on my Christmas wish list.

17. jacobspenceSep 20, 20107:52 am

I too twitched when the DWR email came through with this beauty. Alas – now we would all just be copying you if we gave in. :)

I also appreciate your attention to detail in aligning the vertical bars of the hang-it-all with your white floor boards.

18. fritzSep 20, 20108:52 am

where is the best place to buy one of those?

19. Anna at D16Sep 20, 20109:54 am

julie/Jess: It really depends on the lighting, but the contrast in my photo is very high—so I’d say that this particular photo here does make the walnut read a little darker and redder than it is in actuality.

fritz: I bought mine from DWR, but there are numerous retailers for Herman Miller products in the US. I don’t know how it’s being distributed in other countries.

20. LisaSep 20, 201010:43 am

Love it! This edition has been on my wish list!

21. erin@designcrisisSep 20, 20101:16 pm

I love special packaging — it really makes a splurge feel worthwhile.

Cute find, and I hope you’re feeling better today!

22. ElisabethSep 21, 20107:10 pm

Oh, gosh I am so jealous. It is gorgeous!

23. MiaSep 22, 20104:09 am

I know you’re pretty nice. We’ve all ready spoken on more than one occasion. Last time when I wrote here that I wished to blog about your pretty bookshelf and I’ve also twice recommended your blog on my blog.
    So I think I’m pretty nice too. :)

I’ve removed the pics and I will remove my links where I recommend your blog. In the future I will chose more carefully what kind of person I choose to link to. I’m so sorry.

Be well
    Mia

24. Anna at D16Sep 22, 20106:30 am

Sorry you’re not happy with my policies, Mia, but copying seven of my photographs from a single post and burying a tiny link at the bottom without using a credit? That’s not okay, and I am quite certain I’m not alone in feeling that way.

Thank you for removing the photographs. In the future, please just use one or two, link back to the post, and credit me. That’s all I’m asking for.

25. Tessa MenotteSep 24, 201010:20 pm

Oh my heart filled with joy when I saw this in the DWR catalog and I immediately wanted to jump and purchase it! So glad to see that you did it and now I am really thinking it is time for me to get it! Looks so beautiful!

26. emma@50danskakvadratOct 1, 20103:45 pm

The hanger is pretty, but the graphics on the paperwork is even prettier ;)

27. jessica defineOct 14, 20109:35 am

It was worth the splurge! I just got a catalog from House Industries on the Eames Neenah paper and I LOVE it. Also love the sprucing up you’ve done ’round here–looks good!

28. _ andrea nelson _Jan 27, 20114:20 pm

I love them so much that I bought 2! They look fabulous side-by-side!