The bedroom wall is finished!

bedroom wall 3

bedroom wall 1

Yay! The black wall in the bedroom is finally finished. I’m so glad I went ahead and painted the moldings black.

The doorway on the left leads into a small fourth bedroom that we use as our dressing room. The door that’s supposed to go there is missing, but I actually like that it’s open all the time.

bedroom wall 5

We have the door that’s supposed to go in this frame, but I have no idea when it’ll actually be hung. We need to replace all of the hardware on the door (it was knobless and hanging upside-down from two little hinges when we bought the house), and that’s still pretty low on the project priority list. I did paint the inside of it black today, though, so it’s ready to go!

bedroom wall 2

Look! No more weird little strip of black!

bedroom panorama

If you’d like to see a badly-assembled panoramic view of the whole wall, you can click the above photo for an enlargement.

bedroom wall 4

The shelf could not have been easier to hang. It’s literally just a $20 plank of white pine that I sanded smooth. I may put a coat of matte polyurethane on it at some point, but I really like the look of it bare. It’s mounted on the wall with four steel angle brackets. Maybe it’s not the most elegant solution, but I painted the lower half of the brackets with the wall color, and they recede completely.

Now I can’t wait to paint that radiator! If it’s warm enough next weekend that we can leave the heat off, I’ll try to do it then.

p.s. Because I know someone will ask… Yes, the rug is real. I’ve had it for several years. No, I’m not planning to get rid of it. It doesn’t bother me any more than a leather sofa would.

1. FloraOct 24, 20107:16 pm

Yes! I have followed this wall thing and I really like the way it turns out. Great with the trims painted too. Well done! And happy week :)

Kristi /

Love the black walls and trim! Makes sense to do it in such a bright room. Will the heater bother whoever sleeps on that side of the bed? Will it get too hot over there?

We never leave the heat on at night, so it’s not a problem.

2. KileyOct 24, 20107:20 pm

Love the sleek look. Also really like your headboard.

3. JustineOct 24, 20107:24 pm

Really dramatic! I love it!

4. melodyOct 24, 20107:25 pm

bravo!

5. mariaOct 24, 20107:27 pm

beautiful. also you are like the fastest, most efficient diy-er ever!

ps- love this:

“If you wouldn’t say it to someone’s face, don’t say it here.” well said.

But…it took me two years of planning, four months of procrastinating, and five days of execution to paint a single wall!

maria /

everybody needs prep time ;)

Julie Jacobson /

Planning…thinking…procrastinating…more procrastinating…feeling guilty about procrastinating…action. That’s exactly how I operate, too. I love your black wall. It’s calm and peaceful.

6. read me...Oct 24, 20107:27 pm

Anna, the black wall looks great! I’ve always painted walls, ceilings and mouldings with the same colour in my home. Makes decisions so much easier.

7. DanOct 24, 20107:29 pm

Looks super fly! I like the simple pine shelf– how deep is it?

Okay. I’ve been looking at it… and looking at it… right side of the third picture down: is that a strip of black painted trim I’m seeing? Is somebody gearing up to paint the rest of the room black?!?!

The shelf is about 6″ deep.

And no, that’s just the aforementioned un-hung door that I was painting. Don’t get crazy. ;)

Dan /

I can’t help it.

8. BrismodOct 24, 20107:32 pm

It does look much better – seamless and chic. I really like it. x

9. ErinOct 24, 20107:35 pm

I love it! It looks awesome!!!

10. majaOct 24, 20107:36 pm

great call on painting the trim black! and bonus that it distracts the eye from the different doorway and window heights- something that might drive a modernist a little mad ;)

Thank you for noticing the varying heights, Maja! That’s definitely one of the things that drives me mad, for sure. ;)

11. KaylenOct 24, 20107:36 pm

this looks AMAZING! i love the black wall AND the shelf. great job!

12. Mariela RamosOct 24, 20107:37 pm

Love it!!!

13. AnneOct 24, 20107:50 pm

I love it. Good choice on painting the molding, it really looks seamless. The shelf is perfect!

14. eyeseeprettyOct 24, 20107:51 pm

Love, love love the black wall and moulding. So hot!

15. KateOct 24, 20108:08 pm

so lovely – I was skeptical the other day when I read you were going to pain the trim – but it was such a good choice!

16. ClaudiaOct 24, 20108:12 pm

Your wall is a work of art. You took the time to think of it and it shows, like in the details about the different door heights that you hide. In fact, all of your projects all well thought and it is a quality that you have.

And PLEASE Dear, dear Anna, don’t find excuses when someone pays you a compliment (especially when you deserve it) just say “thank you” and accept it. You deserve all the prays you get from your readers. And I would say it to your face :)

17. RachelOct 24, 20108:14 pm

Great choice painting the trim black too! The shelf looks great, but doesn’t it get in the way of sitting up in bed and leaning on the wall behind you? Maybe not everyone does that…just curious! :)

Neither of us ever really sit up/lean back in bed (that’s why we didn’t bother getting a bed with headboard for the apartment), but even if we did, I think the shelf is high enough that it wouldn’t interfere.

Matt /

What kind of bed is that? I like the sleek look. My wife and dig your blog.

Matt, it’s the Ånes bed from IKEA. It’s very Alvar Aalto-esque, and beautifully made. Unfortunately, it’s been discontinued (we bought it several years ago)—they do still have several items from the line in their inventory, though.

18. Barb F (Australia)Oct 24, 20108:25 pm

Looks fantastic! Painting the trim black was definitely the way to go.

19. Lori E.Oct 24, 20108:42 pm

LOVE it!! I would have never thought of painting the trim the same color as the wall. Looks great. Do you think that look works for all wall colors or just looks especially grand in black? I am really digging the shelf too…

Well, it looks good with white, too! ;)

I think it’s best to do this with very strong colors. I once saw an apartment (maybe in Budget Living?) completely painted out in bright pink—everything: the walls, the trim, the pipes, the electric wires, the windows…and it looked great.

20. annaOct 24, 20108:57 pm

Wow, I love the stark white alcove & the all black wall contrast. We have yet to figure out what to do to our bedroom

21. StephanieOct 24, 20109:04 pm

I love the look of the bare pine. It’s very minimal and sets a nice warm contrast against the dark wall.

22. AlanaOct 24, 20109:07 pm

Oh Anna, it’s gorgeous! Amazing how black can look so warm and cozy instead of cool and detached.
    It’s post like this that kill me as a renter. I’m all for a little un-authorised DIY a la Manhattan Nest but I think painting my bedroom black might be pushing it.
    ~Alana

Hey…I painted a wall, a ceiling, and a closet in my rental apartment black! I’ll paint it back to white when I move.

23. AdamOct 24, 20109:09 pm

Beautiful! I love how it looks with the trim painted black, it really pulls it all together how you wanted! It really does make an excellent statement. How many coats did it take?

Two coats! The coverage with the Aura paint is really good.

24. margitOct 24, 20109:21 pm

looks great! i have been meaning to compliment you on the website. i love it :)
    the black trim looks great as well.
    greetings from australia

25. RebeccaNYCOct 24, 201010:35 pm

Yes, yes, yes and yes to it all.

26. jennifer in sfOct 24, 201010:47 pm

Ok. That was CLEARLY* the right choice. It looks great!

*And by clearly I mean now that it’s done it’s obvious.

27. TERI REES WANGOct 24, 201010:51 pm

So smart, and charming…the matte black.
    And, leave that little shelf along.
    Live with it raw.
    Cheers!

28. carolOct 24, 201011:18 pm

looks sooo good!
    and I love the shelf and how you will be able to stage different objects on it + change it up from time to time…

29. ChristianOct 24, 201011:22 pm

Love the black trim! It looks good as white, too but the black looks much better!

I don’t really dig the shelf (color), though! Sorry! If it was me it would be stained very very dark brown or painted black.

Something to mimic the radiator on the right side would be great! Good opportunity for a night table?

I’ll be painting the radiator black eventually, so it will recede more.

In the mean time, you can see that I already did put something on the opposite side. :) No need for a bedside table (I’m not really a fan of them anyway; I have problems with insomnia, and I don’t like to be able to see a clock during the night) now that the shelf is up.

30. Jesse LuOct 24, 201011:36 pm

Wow! That looks fantastic!

31. julietOct 24, 201011:44 pm

Very nice! I’m lying here looking around my room in shame! haha!

32. Notorious MLEOct 25, 201012:04 am

It looks awesome Anna! I love that you always trust your gut. (And I was one of the “heart white molding” so much comments. :)

33. victoriaOct 25, 201012:06 am

yay!! it looks fantastic! i love it all, and love the splashes of yellow and sharon montrose prints. so cozy!

It was your fabulous dining room that pushed me over the edge! I fully embrace the dark side. :)

34. EvieOct 25, 201012:32 am

This looks great. I think painting the door frames was a really good idea.
    At the beginning of the year I painted our bedroom ‘indian ink’. It’s a very light filled room so it works quite well though I do think in hindsight I would have been better to do what you have done and paint just one wall. Currently my door frames and skirtings are white, but seeing this I think I’ll go over them in the dark colour! :-)

evie x

35. brianneOct 25, 201012:48 am

Looks really nice, great decision to be bold!

36. AmyOct 25, 20101:25 am

Ok…I admit I was wrong!! I didn’t think I was going to like it, but I really do!!

I have to ask about the radiator being so close to the bed…doesn’t that get a little hot??
    Being in Florida, radiators are something we don’t have to deal with often…ok, never!! ;)

We don’t keep the heat on at night. That’s what dogs are for! :)

Amy /

There are several furry and VERY cuddly little beasts that allow us to share their house with them…so I completely understand the lack of need for the heat at night!! lol

37. sRaOct 25, 20101:30 am

PERFECT! love it – soo much better!

38. Salla / dailyimaginarium.blogspot.comOct 25, 20101:50 am

Trés chic!

39. MonicaOct 25, 20102:23 am

Double Yay! I keep on repeating myself in the comments here but…. Love!

40. MattOct 25, 20102:26 am

Nice, nice. Looks great!

41. laureOct 25, 20102:49 am

black is so definitely back.

42. LizOct 25, 20103:17 am

Wow – it works so well I’m off to buy paint…

Now the trim is dark too the start of the window wall makes sense. And I wouldn’t have thought of a shelf helping link the chair(s) and bed frame, while not making things matchy matchy. (Although I realise the latter might just be my own preoccupation.)

On painting the radiator are you sure about next weekend? I get the sense of urgency but it is so bitterly cold here (London) that I’d be worried about how cold the four of you would get over there. (But if you do paint, I can’t wait to see the results!)

Temperatures are weird in the Northeastern US this time of year—we’ll have a day of frost and cold following by warmth and sunshine. It usually doesn’t get ridiculously frigid until the end of November, and then there’s no turning back!

43. KirstenOct 25, 20105:27 am

I painted all the walls in my bedroom an almost black colour but kept the ceiling, door and skirting an off white – the room is so dark it needed the contrast! I think painting the trim the same colour as the wall has worked really well in this room. I’m loving your old radiators too!

44. CheapsOct 25, 20105:47 am

So amazing, what a beautiful colour

45. LibertineOct 25, 20107:43 am

Wow! Wowwowow! I love black in a bedroom and this looks really great. I saw your previous post with the white trim and as much as I loved the trim, it looks so much better in black.

Great job!

Libertine (long time lurker, first time poster)

46. ElissaOct 25, 20108:04 am

love it! I love the way you “styled” the shelf. Mine would inevitably be filled with clutter (oh wait, it is!)

We really don’t read in bed at all, so there isn’t much clutter to accumulate. I try to keep the bedroom as spare as possible!

47. CharlotteOct 25, 20108:27 am

Love it. Never thought that painting the mouldings black as well would have such impact, but it really does.

48. elisabethOct 25, 20108:36 am

anna, a few things. happy belated birthday. 35 looks very good on you! you are like me in my family….so much younger than my siblings. and, i too, called my parents mommy and daddy, until their last days!

second, the black wall looks great.it changed the look of the room completely. and really glad that you painted the moldings. how do you find all of the interior photos you find? do you scan them from magazines?

enjoy the new look.

All of my siblings call my mother “Mommy”, too. That’s her name, after all. :)

Most of the interiors photos I post are internet-sourced. I always put a link under the photo so you can identify the source.

49. Fat CatOct 25, 20109:09 am

FANTASTIQUE !!! Well worth all the procrastination ;-)

Do I spy some equally awesome Sharon Montrose animal prints ?

Yes, you do! Evan bought them for me several birthdays ago, but I’ve only now found the right place for them. :)

50. CherylOct 25, 20109:35 am

That is gorgeous. I have to say, I actually kind of like the radiator as is. And the shelf is fantastic. I did something similar in an old apartment and left it unfinished and never had a problem with it getting dirty or anything.

Dan /

Please do a how-to when you get that done, I’m in the EXACT same situation with my nasty radiators (which also spit and sputter and knock when they turn them on, which might mean they’re broken? I don’t know. I need a dog instead, clearly). Yes, probably a health hazard with all that chipping silver likely lead-laden paint!

51. katieOct 25, 20109:42 am

love it! the black trim looks fantastic. what color are you planning on painting the radiator?

BM Soot (matte), the same color as the wall.

52. MandyOct 25, 20109:45 am

Really loving how it turned out … you have done such a great job I recently painted my bathroom black and I adore it, think I may have to copy you and move on to the bedroom next !!!

53. MeghanOct 25, 20109:47 am

Oh geesh – I feel a new project coming on! This room is absolute perfecton. LOVE.

54. Grumble GirlOct 25, 20109:56 am

That looks gorgeous, lady!! Glad you painted the mouldings black on that wall – looks tremendous! Yay for you!!

55. Cher@NROct 25, 201010:33 am

Looks great. I kinda like the way the radiator pops from the wall, but on your other post there was a black radiator against the black wall, and that looked interesting too. It’s not so prominent. I’m sure it feels good to scratch some of this off your list.

I’ll definitely be painting the radiator! I just need a weekend when the heat doesn’t need to be on.

56. AmandaOct 25, 201011:04 am

It looks fantastic! I never would have thought to paint the moldings black but it looks great. And the rug is awesome too (coming from a judgement-free vegetarian, haha). Very classy.

57. MisaOct 25, 201011:17 am

i’m excited to see your sharon montrose prints! i have one and i hadn’t yet decided if it was, you know, cool, but clearly it is if you have some!

Hahah!! Sharon’s prints are gorgeous—very cool! :D

58. Anna ElenaOct 25, 201011:30 am

Love. Painting the trim out was definitely the right decision! The ‘weird black strip’ goes right away. and I may steal your wonderfully simple shelf idea! would be much better than bedside tables…

59. MelissaOct 25, 201011:36 am

It looks great! I know in the previous post you mentioned that now you wanted a new bed. But, I think the addition of the bare wood shelf helps tie in the bed frame nicely. Hat tip to you!

I love the bed, but I sometimes think it has too large of a footprint because the headboard has quite a deep slant. The room is very narrow. It feels much better now with the dark wall, though, as it’s given the room much more depth!

60. ehalveyOct 25, 201012:13 pm

I. Want. This. Bedroom.

61. SueOct 25, 20101:27 pm

its gorgeous Anna, I love every bit of it, you are amazing!

62. KevinOct 25, 20101:34 pm

Have you thought about bringing the black trim through the rest of the room?

Not unless I decide to paint the entire room black, no. My reasoning for not wanting the high contrast between the trim and the wall applies regardless of the configuration!

63. Sarah K. F.Oct 25, 20101:57 pm

I understand why you hesitated to paint the trim, but now that you have, it makes all the difference!

64. Shawn COct 25, 20102:12 pm

Beautiful job, well done! I love the look of painting the trim and wall the same color. I also really like the shelf. I might do the same.

65. DeleilanOct 25, 20102:29 pm

It looks so good! Is it just me or can you really appreciate the beauty of the trim now that it doesn’t just register as white-next-to-black?

66. JorgeOct 25, 20102:32 pm

The room looks amazing Anna! What frames did you use for Sharon Montrose’s prints?

If it’s in my house and it’s in a (modern) frame, it’s probably a Ribba from IKEA! ;)

67. heatherOct 25, 20102:54 pm

We’ve left off the door between our bedroom and the adjoining room (our office) off too. I like the flow it gives the two rooms.
    This looks so good! Especially with the dark moldings. I like the shelf in its natural state because it matches the other furniture in the room and the frames. Nice choices. :)

68. jodiOct 25, 20103:38 pm

it looks fabulous!! great job!

69. SidOct 25, 20104:04 pm

love it with the black trim as well…the room looks great. I’m definitely jealous

70. elissaOct 25, 20104:12 pm

Do you have steam heat? Usually you can turn off a radiator with steam. You’re probably not likely to have too many weekends where you can go without heat up there, that might let you get it done before spring.

Yes, we have steam heat, but turning the knobs doesn’t make any difference! (I’ve never had working steam knobs anywhere I’ve lived!)

dew i /

it looks fabulous!

71. redmenaceOct 25, 20105:02 pm

I am in LOVE. It is a challenge to use such a dark color, but still make it seem so bright. Lovely job. Where did you find those gorgeous yellow pillow cases?? xoxo

Thank you! The pillow cases came from Dwell.

72. Lonely Wife ProjectOct 25, 20105:07 pm

I’m in love.

73. sarahOct 25, 20105:49 pm

wow. love the shelf!! looks amazing with the black wall. nice job.

74. mommyOct 25, 20108:00 pm

It looks wonderful! And I think the bed looks even better now against the black wall.

75. TessOct 25, 20109:01 pm

Looks great! I really like the black trim.

76. jemOct 25, 201010:49 pm

don’t paint the radiator, dear door sixteen!!!

it looks great against the black, like a luminous industrial artifact.

if the radiator were black, i would just think, hmm, somebody painted a lot of stuff black.
    but right now, there’s something about the graphic composition of as-is radiator, plain wood shelf, occasional picture, that is awesome somehow…

anyhow, that’s my two cents. thanks for sharing, great writing and pics!

As I said in another comment:
    “The radiator looks better in photos than in person! In reality, the silver paint is very crumbly (well past the point of peeling—it’s really a health hazard) and there is exposed rust all over it. It really does need to be wire-brushed, sanded, and treated with a rust-proofing primer.”

77. Maggie@Okay, now what?Oct 25, 201011:32 pm

Good choice on painting the trim black too. It was definitely the right decision. I have to admit that I had my doubts. Love your blog!

78. JC ~ Palm Springs UKOct 26, 20103:51 am

Just…gorgeous! YOU have inspired me.

79. kate soOct 26, 201010:26 am

Nice work on the molding. Love the simplicity of the room.

80. UliOct 26, 201010:34 am

Maybe paint the radiator . . . silver?

I really am not a fan of silver radiators. I’ll be painting it flat black, the same color as the wall.

kate so /

81. erin@designcrisisOct 26, 20101:20 pm

Gorgeous. Stunning. So jealous of all the fabulous architectural details. The black molding is super sophisticated, too.

82. Abbey HOct 26, 20107:11 pm

Flat black radiator- YES! I’m a bit late commenting, but this looks insanely great (as usual). Painting the molding was genius.

83. PhillyLassOct 26, 201010:13 pm

Wow! That looks fantastic and the shelf is sharp!

84. Erin ZOct 27, 20102:04 pm

As far as the cowhide rug goes, more people should know that you can get them on the cheap at any Tandy Leather store, through their catalog or website. They are the EXACT ones you’d get from any of the high end shops (*cough*DWR*cough) at a fraction of the price. I got the largest size you can get (a “60” if you need a reference) at the Tandy a block away from my apartment and it’s amazing. I am already scheming for my next one — blonde!

Better still, if you REALLY want a cowhide rug (or any product made from a dead animal), buy VINTAGE.

There is no reason to continue the slaughter of animals for the sake of a meal or a rug. Financially, ecologically, and ethically-speaking, using what already exists is the best option (short of not having a dead animal rug at all, of course).

85. TimothyOct 28, 20104:49 am

A black wall has never looked better. Well done Anna.

86. KarenOct 28, 20103:05 pm

Holy cow, I gasped when I saw this–GOOD JOB, it looks so awesome!

I just recently found your blog and am so glad I did! We are house hunting and I need all the fixer-upper support I can get. THANKS!

87. CarolineOct 28, 20107:16 pm

That’s an awesome bedroom! So simple and cozy. I love the bare wood shelf, and I actually think it would be a shame to paint that radiator.

Please see my previous comments about the radiator—it really is a health hazard. The photos are deceiving.

88. SiobhánOct 29, 20104:25 am

I LOVE it. Well done! What colour are you going to paint the radiator – please say mustard!

Flat black, same as the wall.

89. AliciaOct 29, 20104:15 pm

I love the wall-long shelf! I just took a trip over to Ikea to get a white picture rail, but they were out and I also realized it was only about 45″ long, and I need much longer, and I was agonizing about how to create this shelf I want above my sofa, and this is the perfect idea, and so cheap, too. I might even paint the entire shelf the color of the wall. I assume I can get the brackets at Home Depot?

Yep! Or any hardware store. They’re just standard angle brackets.

90. Ashley S.Oct 30, 201012:19 am

Beautiful! You mentioned that you got the pillowcases at Dwell. Do you know the names of them? I did a little searching and couldn’t find them. We are re-doing our bedroom and I would love that exact set.

I don’t remember the name, sorry, but I’ve had them for several years now. I don’t think they’ve been a part of the collection for quite some time.

I just found the name in thid old post—the style was called “Silhouette”.

91. Ashley S.Oct 30, 201012:39 am

Thank you!

92. ValeriaOct 30, 201011:03 pm

It looks REALLY great! I was wondering if you had finished painting since last time I checked! It totally grounds the room and makes the blue and yellow pop! You’re making me want some black walls in our house now, haha!

I love the dressing room too!

93. cateNov 1, 201010:14 am

We have the exact same trim all over out house – it is huge and I dream about removing it because it is so distracting. But now that I see how it looks painted the wall colour I have a plan!

94. FionaNov 1, 20106:36 pm

Simply stunning !

95. OunoNov 2, 20101:09 am

Black moulding! It’s so much better painted. Very nice.

96. jennyNov 4, 20103:06 pm

Hello, The room looks absolutely beautiful. I’ve not scrolled through all of the comments, so perhaps someone else has asked this: Where did you get your bed frame? Thank you.

IKEA! There’s more specific info in a few other comments. :)

Karen /

You are wonderfully patient! :)

Also, the bedroom looks great.

97. Rhan VintageNov 20, 20103:29 pm

Wow. Stunning.

98. James KentJun 5, 201112:46 pm

Hi Anna – do you mind sharing what finish you painted the trims black with please – is it a full gloss? Has a nice contract against the wall.

I’m just about to go with painting all the woodwork in my bedroom the same Farrow & Ball Elephants Breath as the walls, white just isn’t working for me anymore….

J

It’s a satin finish, James! All of my walls are fully matte, and the trim is satin throughout the house.