This is good, too.

I was supposed to take this entire week off from work, but things didn’t really pan out that way…so I’m just off for one day instead. I’m spending today with Fritz and Bruno, eating popcorn with malt salt, getting some freelance work* taken care of, and hopefully going for a long walk in Fort Tryon park, provided I can convince F&B that it’s not all that cold outside.

Following a tip from Nubby Twiglet, I picked up a bottle of Sally Hansen Insta-Dri nail polish in Mint Sprint. It’s a little more blue-green than it looks in the photo—very springy and bright! I did my fingernails, too, but my hands are bad models.

*Yes, it still counts as a “day off” if I’m doing freelance work. At least for now it does. And yes, I’m actively looking for more freelance work, so if you need your blog redesigned or a snappy cover for your book, I’m your girl.

1. Mamma BiscuitMar 28, 20112:16 pm

AWWW two snouts and an eye in the foreground all conspire to make this an amazing photo!! I love it!

Now onto what’s more pressing, Sally Hansen?? I can only be friends with ladies who strictly wear Brucci nail polish! That toe color is insane!!! I love it!!

Ruff Ruff

Wait, are you calling my nose a SNOUT?!

Mamma Biscuit /

LOLOL in a very endearing way………oh c’mon, I call Tommy’s face a snout LOLOL

2. SallyMar 28, 20112:23 pm

How much time do you spend in your NYC apt vs your house?

It depends on the week, Sally! Whatever is most convenient given both of our schedules.

3. Jen LawrenceMar 28, 20112:24 pm

Cute picture, Anna (of you and the doggies)…and very cool toenail color! :D – Jen

4. victoriaMar 28, 20112:57 pm

you look so great!! i love this so much…as i said on flickr, you need this blown up huge on your black wall! :)

5. sheilaMar 28, 20113:04 pm

love that photo of you (and your eye make-up)! sweet doggys.

6. Lori E.Mar 28, 20113:16 pm

What a super great picture of you and your pups. Definitely frame worthy! And, as usual, your bangs are the bomb… :)

7. Lindsay JewellMar 28, 20113:16 pm

Love the polish color. :)

8. MerissaMar 28, 20114:11 pm

Such a cute photo!!! Can you please post a little about your job? I can’t imagine what a day in the life of a book cover designer is like… full of photoshoots? sketching? staring at a blank page/screen waiting for an idea??? Whatever it is, I’m sure it’s interesting!

Merissa, I wrote a couple of posts a while back about my job: Part One and Part Two. There’ll be a Part Three eventually…I was too exhausted to continue at the time. ;)

(And yes, “staring at a blank page/screen waiting for an idea” describes many of my days!!)

9. LizMar 28, 20114:52 pm

Love this. The first photo is just perfect – it made me smile from ear to ear.

Malt salt – who knew anyone else got the British thing about Malt Vinegar and Salt… it makes me want to eat a bag of chips by the coast.

And I will show this post to anyone who querries me doing freelance work on my days off. If Anna does it, it’s got to be OK. Right?

Hope you had a fantastic day.

“If Anna does it, it’s got to be OK. Right?”

That’s a dangerous way to live life, Liz!!! You’ll have rats cleaning your molars in no time…

Liz /

After the earlier post who’s to say I don’t already!!

10. Vicki @ Piccolo Takes AllMar 28, 20114:53 pm

Are you working towards becoming a full-time freelancer?

Nope! Just doing some extra work on the side. I have no desire to work freelance full-time.

11. JillMar 28, 20115:06 pm

OMG, that Sally Hansen nail polish dries so fast. I bought some in a pinch on a business trip and was so impressed that it does what it advertises! Full truth: I googled for reviews of it after the fact and got caught in a vortex of YouTube video reviews from 14-year-old girls. Whoa. Kids these days.

12. JanetMar 28, 20116:29 pm

Anna… that photo with you and the pups is fabulous!!

13. mariaMar 28, 20116:36 pm

amazing photo!

14. DawnMar 28, 20118:02 pm

Love this photo, Anna – it’s too sweet! May I ask what eyeshadow(s) you’re wearing here? Whatever it is, it looks amazing on you.

Thanks :) It’s Urban Decay in Midnight Cowgirl (all over) and Bare Escentuals in Pussycat up to the crease.

15. lauMar 28, 20119:55 pm

that top photo is the cutest. and i might follow the mint nail trend. so pretty!

16. NubbyMar 28, 20119:56 pm

Ha, I just took that nail polish off last night so it’s your for the week!

17. pauleMar 28, 201111:06 pm

Oh Anna this pic of you and the dogs is sooo inspiring to me!
    :) Perfection.

18. jbhatMar 28, 201111:34 pm

What a shot! You really do look so pretty. And I now must hunt down that nail polish too. It’s my very favorite color, so I’m thrilled to know it’s available in Insta-Dry. Insta-Fun!

jbhat

19. KatjaMar 29, 20112:30 am

Aw, all three of you look so cute! This is why I want a puppy too, Lissu considers kisses and hugs to be beneath her.

20. PistachioMar 29, 20118:58 am

That is a fantastic picture!! Glad you got to have some QT with your pups!
    Cheers!!

21. kay*Mar 29, 20119:36 am

oooooooooooooh i see this pic and my heart hurts so much for howard :( i miss him so much. lucky you….sometimes it’s the littlest of things…

22. KateMar 29, 201112:51 pm

That photo is super awesome. Did you take it yourself?? If so, even more impressed.

Oh, thanks! Yes, I took it myself. My left arm was around Bruno, my the camera was in my right hand.

23. Grumble GirlMar 29, 20115:03 pm

Okay, that pic of you and the dogs? Priceless. Adorable!

And my little Madame just joined me at the kitchen table sand said, “Ooooh… lowt at de nail polish… can I have some? I love greeeeeen…” Very nice. And you have cute toes, dear. ;)

24. cassandraMar 29, 20118:13 pm

I have the exact same brand/color on my toes at this very moment! I moved to So. Cal. and bought this color plus a bright lime one because I thought I needed to be more “sunny.”

25. JenniferMar 30, 20111:33 pm

just echoing all the other posts of: LOVE love LOVE that picture!!

26. Mary-EllenMar 30, 20112:46 pm

A little late, but wanted to say I love the shadow. Very fancy.

Oh, and I also wanted to tell you, I found out that Cover Girl does test on animals :( so there will be no more Lash Blast for me. I can never support that.

I think I will stick to the Buxom Lash.

Oh yes, Proctor & Gamble is well-known for being a major participant in animal testing. They have reduced the amount of testing they do substantially (and plan to phase it out even further over the next decade), but they are a massive company that owns a great many brands.

You may be disappointed to know that Buxom mascara contains animal-derived products (including beeswax and sodium hyaluronate). I know one evil doesn’t make less of another, but it is indeed very tricky to find cruelty-free beauty products. Unfortunately, the “no animal testing” line is about as meaningless as the “free range” label put on shrink-wrapped dead chickens and cartons of eggs.

There are a few cruelty-free mascaras reviewed here (check the comments for more)—I haven’t tried any of them yet, but I will when I have some extra cash. :)

Mary-Ellen /

Thanks, Anna, for the info on Buxom and the link. My quest for the perfect mascara continues…

27. Lornna OlsonApr 1, 20117:31 pm

I cannot believe how adorable the top shot is- your love for your pets melts my heart!

28. AlyssaApr 1, 20118:59 pm

$2.99CAD Ikea mat, whattup! I love those damn things.

29. katie barnesApr 2, 20113:37 pm

just came across your site while looking for things to do with wooden crates… loving your ideas, and your photography! looking forward to more!

best,

katie

30. kristine astaApr 3, 20111:55 am

the puppy kiss photo is precious and i love the combination of the toe polish with the rug!

31. SharonApr 5, 20117:16 am

Um, you look like a super hott supermodel in the picture. Love your slightly messy hair!!!!!!

32. Hannah MapleApr 6, 201110:15 am

THE RUG!! Where is it from?! LOVE it. Been looking for one JUST like it in brown :)

It’s from IKEA—there are other options not shown here:

33. ATMay 19, 20119:32 pm

have you tried essie mint candied apple. its my new absolute fave for the spring/summer.