David Lynch Signature Cup Coffee.

“David Lynch Signature Cup Coffee” commercial // Directed by David Lynch, 2011

This is, by far, the finest commercial ever made. Really—watch this (the whole thing) and tell me you don’t want to run out and buy a bag (or a dozen bags) of David Lynch Signature Cup Coffee RIGHT NOW. Even if you’re not a coffee drinker. You want it, right?

A few months ago, Daniel and I went to see a movie* at the IFC Center, and I noticed David Lynch’s coffee for sale at the concession stand, and even though it was in no way presented as a being a joke product, I was kind of baffled by its existence.

Well, no longer. It all makes perfect sense to me now. You know, in the same way that Mulholland Drive and Lost Highway make sense. As in, not at all. But it’s good anyway, and my life won’t be the same without it.

I love David Lynch. I also love coffee.

*We went to see Tiny Furniture, and it was very enjoyable. The 24-year-old writer and director is also the protagonist, and her real-life mother and sister play her movie mother and sister and the whole thing is set in her mother’s (GORGEOUS AND AMAZING) real-life apartment—yet the entire thing is fictional. And she made it for $25,000. Recommended!

1. lauApr 27, 20113:21 pm

yesssss. i just saw this too. made my day.

2. victoriaApr 27, 20113:28 pm

amazing. i once worked with his daughter jennifer lynch on an FX commercial, and i gotta say i have never in my entire life seen one person consume so much espresso. must be in her genes. (on a side note: she borrowed my polaroid camera and never returned it, so i like to think she’s taken a few shots of her pop with it.). :)

3. ChristineApr 27, 20113:40 pm

Enjoying how he couched a real and quite straightforward product in blissful bafflement.

4. MariaApr 27, 20113:57 pm

what a fucking weirdo.

5. the brick houseApr 27, 20113:58 pm

I just finished all of Twin Peaks & now I’m in love with Lynch as an actor. Gordon Cole still cracks me up.

6. vedjenApr 27, 20114:06 pm

Love this. Made my day.

7. ErikApr 27, 20114:06 pm

I really shouldn’t have watched this while stoned…

8. AdamApr 27, 20114:25 pm

I haven’t had any coffee in a year and a half but this really makes me want to start drinking it again!

A year and a half! My god, Adam, you better start tripling-up!

9. StephanieApr 27, 20114:38 pm

haha. I did my senior film school paper on David Lynch. After much research, I still don’t 100% get him, but I think that’s why he is so fascinating. This knowledge just adds to it.

10. AbraCatApr 27, 20115:20 pm

I thought this was hilarious, but whoo-boy, my husband got SO mad at me for forcing him to watch it!

My work here is done, then. ;)

11. SaraApr 27, 20115:47 pm

I would have loved it if he hadn’t tweaked her head so hard to the side. too much tension, would have preferred it to be a little more dumbed down, but then would that have been david lynch?

12. JenApr 27, 20118:51 pm

SO GOOD. I wonder if it comes with a severed Barbie arm inside each bag. Or maybe just some fingernails. Or a fish in the percolator.

Or an ear…

Paige @ MCC /

Seeing as I’m only three episodes into twin peaks right now, I laughed way too loud at the fish thing. I can’t wait until my lunch break where I can sneakily watch the video on my iphone. I’m guessing it’s work safe, but not wtf is she watching work safe.

It’s definitely work safe, I promise!!

Well, at least it is where I work. :D

13. KatherineApr 27, 201110:34 pm

I have to say, this coffee is really really good. My ex (a weirdo for sure) ordered it for a while, and then they ran out of beans. I suppose they are back. If you are intrigued, I definitely advocate ordering. :)

I’m glad to hear that! It’s not horribly expensive and it’s fair trade, too, so I think I’m going to pick up a bag and see how it goes down. :)

14. sheilaApr 28, 201111:58 am

This is remarkably similar to Joe Gibbon’s 1995 video, entitled “Barbie’s Audition”.

I get an error message when I try to download it!

15. EricaApr 28, 201112:02 pm

Nope, this does not make me want to rush out and buy a cup, a bag, or any other measurement of David Lynch coffee.

Well, all the more for me, then! :)

16. AldaApr 28, 20113:53 pm

Amazing, so strange, I love how the music in his works feels so strange as well. Anyone know where to find this tune btw?
    I wonder if they ship this coffee to Brazil lol

Alda, much of the most DL uses is written either by himself alone or with a collaborator. I would guess that this particular piece is his own work. Check out his site for lots of music stuff!

17. WildeDashApr 28, 20114:36 pm

Amazing. And, by the way, digging the blog.

18. lizApr 28, 20115:18 pm

thx for posting this. It is hilarious:) Love David Lynch, his website has some really cool music too.

19. MichelleApr 28, 201111:47 pm

Whoa Nelly- that’s way too intimate! I feel dirty…

20. ArielApr 29, 201112:14 pm

Whoa! That just made my day. I also love David Lynch and coffee! Thanks for posting!

21. NinaApr 29, 20118:58 pm

This commercial makes me want to buy some David Lynch coffee and I don’t even like to drink coffee at all ;) Love the smell of freshly brewed coffee though!

22. Rachel KayApr 30, 20113:15 pm

Wow, that’s amazing. Just so wonderfully weird. I love how he’s holding the Barbie too… at any second I was expecting him to pull it’s head off! And I really like the fact that he didn’t and that there was a happy ending… he got Barbie a cup of coffee!

23. jjaMay 1, 20117:20 am

I love no wait adore David Lynch! Great video he,he

24. Chloe CMay 2, 201112:48 pm

jeeeeze.
    that was so good.
    hadn’t seen any David Lynch for a while.

25. Trish [ modern thrifter ]May 4, 20117:16 pm

I was sort of on the edge of my seat at the end, expecting him to pour hot coffee in her face, or plunge her, head first, into a cup. The happy ending made it even more peculiar.

Yep, totally buying a bag.

26. Vicki @ Piccolo Takes AllMay 5, 201112:29 am

I don’t want to run out and buy a bag (or a dozen bags).
    And I AM a drinker of organic, fairly traded coffee.