Happy 5th birthday, Fritz!

birthday Doodle

It’s hard to believe, but our tiny little Fritz is already FIVE years old! As much as I really can’t remember what our lives were like without him here with us, it doesn’t seem like it was that long ago that he was struggling to climb up on chairs…chewing on baseboard moldings…chewing on blanket tasselschewing on sofas…chewing on absolutely everything in sight. Fritz was a difficult puppy, and Bruno (who is five years older than Fritz) had a really hard time adjusting to having him around, but it was all worth it so many times over. Fritz has turned out to be a great dog, and he and Bruno—despite their very different personalities—have turned out to be the best of friends. The four of us are a family together, and I can’t imagine it being any other way.

Fritz is a complex dog. There’s no other way to put it. He’s very smart (stop laughing—you should see this dog make a nest out of blankets, he’s clearly a genius), but he seems to always be in a state of concern over not being able to convey complex emotions without using words. YES, I AM PROJECTING. But really, if you’re lucky enough to have met Fritz in person, you know what I mean. He’s an intense cuddler and affectionate beyond belief, but you just get the feeling he wants to be understood. He’s sensitive.

Happy 5th birthday, Fritzy Doodle Dandy. I love you so much. Thanks for being such a great dog and not minding too much when pluck you out of a cozy sleeping spot because I want you to curl up with me on the sofa.

These are some of my favorite Instagrams of Fritz (Fritztagrams?) from the past year.

Fritz birthday montage

Fritzy sweater

Isn’t he just the bee’s knees? He’s such a Martian.

FRITZ FACTS: He clips his own nails. He’s an incredibly clean dog—he bathes himself like a cat. He considers human nostrils a delicacy. He’s always cold, even if it’s 95°F out. He has a part-time job as an iPad stand. His favorite toy is a stuffing-free raccoon named Randy. He has a hairless chest. He barks if he hears someone curse. He smells like tortilla chips.

One more picture, just because I can’t resist—this is Fritz on the day he came to live with us. So tiny! Love.

baby Doodle

1. ChristianJan 21, 20131:31 am

Cutest EVER. I am melting.

Christian /

The 5th one down on the right. Those 4 little legs. Officially melted.

Deer legs! :)

2. mariJan 21, 20132:01 am

his facial expressions kill me… i can’t stop laughing at the look on his face in the macbook pic!

happy birthday, fritz. :) i hope i get to see him and his epic eyebrows again soon!

3. IleniaJan 21, 20132:43 am

happy birthday cutie pie! x

4. MonicaJan 21, 20136:42 am

Aww, such a beautiful post, the love we have for pets is boundless. Made me tear up (in a good way) especially the puppy photo. Thank you for sharing- Happy Birthday Fritz! x

5. Erica W.Jan 21, 20137:14 am

Happy Birthday, Fritz!

6. CristinaJan 21, 20137:46 am

This is so sweet! Happy birthday to your pup. Mine is about 8 months old and it has certainly been an adjustment to have such a young one in my life. My last dog died two years ago at the age of 13 and I don’t think I quite remembered what it was like to have a “baby” around the house. Your Fritz looks like a sweetie pie!

7. the chronic utilitarianJan 21, 20138:12 am

fritz is adorable.
    is he a longhaired chihuahua?
    his personality sounds like a chi.

8. joy@ OSSJan 21, 20138:21 am

awww he is too precious. happy birthday fritz! i want to get a pet someday so jealous ><

9. nicoleJan 21, 20139:08 am

Happy Birthday, Fritz! Thank you so much for being brave enough to leave your home planet to share your love and cuddles with us on Earth. It was a sincere pleasure to meet you during my last visit. I hope that next time you’ll see past my intimidating height and learn that my lap makes a very good resting spot. xox

10. DusaJan 21, 201310:10 am

I think little dogs are more in tune with human emotions (maybe because they are carried around and more interactive with us?)

Happy birthday Fritzy Doodle Dandy! (and so glad the chewing has abated!)

11. Daniel @ Manhattan NestJan 21, 201310:19 am

Happy Birthday, Fritz!! Love you to pieces. <3 <3

(Also, everything Anna says about Fritz being complex and smart and wanting to be understood is totally true. There is a tiny, neurotic, maybe a little paranoid person inside his brain.)

12. AdamJan 21, 201310:25 am

Happy Happy Birthday Fritz from Adam and Chloe!!!

13. gracieJan 21, 201310:32 am

Baby Fritz!

14. HannaJan 21, 201311:59 am

Wow, this makes me realize how long I’ve been reading this blog. :) Happy birthday to Fritz!

15. kay*Jan 21, 201312:01 pm

oh my goodness i love fritz and i’ve never even met him! i need to figure out a way to get a play date for fritz, bruno, howard…linus and mekko!

happy birthday fritz!

16. dean / my little apartmentJan 21, 201312:28 pm

I love that you mentioned the tortilla chips thing! My dog, Bunny, a corgi-beagle, has always smelled like Fritos! My neighbor had 2 longhaired Chihuahuas and we always laughed about how our dogs smelled like corn chips…Did you know it’s totally a thing? It’s from the (healthy) bacteria on their feet…

Anyway, Fritz is the cutest!

17. Lauren @ chezerbeyJan 21, 20131:03 pm

Aww, happy birthday Fritz! You are the cutest.

18. susan blackJan 21, 20131:17 pm

absolutely adorable, lucky you & lucky Fritz
    especially love the striped sweater and the last photo.
    I’m a huge dog (& cat) lady

19. brendJan 21, 20131:25 pm

living vicariously w all these cute little bloggy doggies … priceless photos!

20. NicoleJan 21, 20131:39 pm

Fritz is my favourite! His big, beautiful eyes make him look so loving, apprehensive and thoughtful all at the same time <3

21. PriscillaJan 21, 20131:47 pm

He has tuftytoes!

22. LizzieJan 21, 20131:50 pm

Aww, he’s adorable. Happy Birthday little guy!

23. jessicaJan 21, 20132:03 pm

Oh Anna, this post made my Monday! Adorable is an understatement for this little bundle of fur. Thank you for being yet another vindication for the wonderful world animals in all of our lives. I personally, would not want to live without them! Fritztagrams? Love it! My favorite? Little Red Riding Fritz with that cheeky tongue and tooth filled grin. Wishing you many more birthday celebrations!

24. wendyJan 21, 20132:12 pm

i’m remembering the pic you took of fritz, at nose level, in the flokati rug, right after you got him. one of my faves, ever.

25. KristenJan 21, 20132:13 pm

AWWW Happy Birthday Fritz! So freakin cute!

26. MonicaJan 21, 20133:56 pm

Happy Belated Birthday Fritz! Such a cutie.

27. bethanyJan 21, 20134:37 pm

Such a sweet pea! How much does Fritz weigh? I have a 4 pound female chihuahua (short haired and all white), and I think they would make a very cute couple! Fritz sure is handsome. Happy birthday, little man!

28. JanaJan 21, 20135:18 pm

Happy 5th to a cute, corn chip, chap!

29. ClareJan 21, 20137:30 pm

“He smells like tortilla chips.” This! I love how one of my dogs smells like cornchips.

I gave a friend who’s been in NY for the past couple of years a lift home from a Xmas party a month ago. He got in my car and immediately said “Do you have a dog?” I started apologising for the dog odour I no longer notice, suuuuuuper embarrassed. He stopped me and said “No, no. It’s no problem. My dog passed away a couple of years ago and I find the smell really comforting, actually. I was glad I still recognised it.”

30. sherryJan 21, 20137:52 pm

I totally had the worst day today but that picture of baby fritz is melting my cold bitchy heart right now. I hope he had a good birthday! Also Bruno needs to write my cat a letter telling him a dog in the the house will be OK because I’ve been dying to adopt one.

31. Steph NJan 21, 20138:51 pm

Love the pic with the computer. Looks like he was caught looking at something naughty!

Happy 5th birthday to your youngest!

32. mommyJan 21, 201310:51 pm

Happy Birthday Fritzy. We love you!

33. MelissaJan 22, 20131:40 am

This is my favorite post ever! My bichon, Max, has frito feet!! I love that you love Fritz so much. Happy Birthday, Fritz-a-licious!

34. lisaJan 22, 20137:03 am

O-tanjoubi omedetou gozaimasu Fritz-San.
    お誕生日おめでとうございます。

35. Heather P.Jan 22, 20139:27 am

Happy Birthday Fritz! That doggie sweater he’s wearing is adorable!

36. MeganJan 22, 201310:43 am

Aw, what a sweet little dude! I love a good snaggletooth ;)
    Happy Birthday Fritz!!!

37. jeannetteJan 22, 201311:14 am
  38. BenitaJan 22, 201312:18 pm

Happy B-day Frumblebee!

39. Chelsea WilsonJan 22, 201312:44 pm

Dogs are family! Happy birthday Fritz!

40. marianeJan 22, 20132:01 pm

Happy birthday Fritz! You have a precious dog, I love a pet with a deep, complex personnality, you make me want to meet him. Also, he is a gorgeous dog, if I ever had a dog it would be a long haired chihuahua, the only concern is that it is quite cold in Montreal for a couple of months!
    Have a great week.

41. RyanJan 22, 20133:15 pm

Too cute! Totally get what you mean by telling he wants to be understood – my little Eve is so the same! Couldn’t have put it better myself!
    Wonder if they’d be pals..!

How do your dogs go with apartment living? Do they scratch/bark to go out and you oblige or is there a schedule they’ve come accustomed to?

42. CeciliaJan 22, 20137:41 pm

He was so little! And I suppose he is now too, but hehehe! Happy Birthday cutie!

43. Uncle BeefyJan 22, 201311:03 pm

Impossible to choose a favorite. But then why should one have to choose?! Uh-DORABLE! Happy [belated] Birthday, Fritz!

44. Jade SheldonJan 22, 201311:57 pm

He is such a sweetheart. I want one just like him! Although, it seems like he is truly one of a kind… :)

45. StephJan 23, 201310:19 am

Happy birthday Fritz! Dogs are the best!!

46. mandyJan 23, 201310:31 am

Oh jeez, these pictures are way too cute:) Happy Birthday!

47. roxJan 23, 20132:04 pm

so freakin cute. I love that little lip snarl photo!

48. AnathaliaJan 24, 201311:39 am

Happy birthday to Fritz! I you had posted this 5 months ago, I would have thought “WTH?”, but since we adopted our little monster, I became another person and now I completely understand this dog love thing. ;) Fritz is adorable and sounds like a handful! All the best to him!

49. jodiJan 24, 20132:03 pm

awww, so sweet! happy, happy birthday, fritz!!

50. AngieJan 24, 20133:35 pm

Happy Birthday Pooch. 35 in doggy years. Think about retirement. It’s around the corner. Living the hard life dogs do. You should always have a plan after the couch and floor laying career is over.

51. Mamma BiscuitJan 25, 201310:20 am

Happy 5th Birthday Fritz! You’re such a big boy now! I seriously cannot handle this wallpaper of Fritz cuteness within this post! It’s nearly impossible to choose a favorite photo but the shot of him wearing that red hoody and sticking his tongue out comes closest to being my most favorite out of the bunch! Mamma Biscuit and family are sending you big pug hugs and kisses!
    xoxo
    Ruff Ruff

52. ryanJan 25, 201312:29 pm

It’s nice to see someone else who so lovingly lets their dogs on furniture :)

53. Beth CJan 25, 20136:30 pm

What a lovely tribute to a good friend. I’m a few days late, but happy birthday, Fritz!

54. EleniJan 26, 20133:57 pm

Happy belated Fritz. I don’t even like dogs that much but I die for your Fritztograms.

55. SuzanneJan 27, 201311:56 pm

Happy happy birthday!!! He is too, too full of cuteness!
    Our pup smells of tortilla chips, also. Or sometimes crackers. Or popcorn. Funny.

56. kristenvJan 28, 20132:08 pm

This so made me laugh. Our dog is half Chihuahua, half Maltese and totally has the Frito smell. He is also an intense kisser and is very focused on nostrils, too!

57. Kerry / Paper DahliaFeb 13, 20131:25 am

He is too dang cute!! Happy birthday, Fritz!