Wintry weekend.

doorsixteen_wintryweekend_1

It doesn’t snow much in the lower half of New York state anymore, so every time we do get an actual snowstorm here with a decent amount of accumulation it’s a cause for excitement! We got about a foot over the weekend, and it was beautiful in Brooklyn. Despite my never-ending bronchial unhappiness, I forced myself outside for a bit. To the dogs’ disappointment, I forced them to come along, too. Every year I somehow convince myself that Fritz and Bruno are real dogs and that they want to play in the snow just like all of the other happy dogs I see frolicking around in the stuff and having a blast.

Well, Fritz and Bruno are not real dogs, and they do not want to play in the snow. They don’t even want to walk on a wet sidewalk. After about 2 minutes, they were both wet and dirty and crying and shaking. Sigh. So, back inside…where they were both immediately subjected to baths, another thing they both hate. They spent the next 24 hours sleeping off the trauma, which is a whole hour longer than they usually sleep each day.

Meanwhile, Evan and I are packing up our apartment and getting ready to move to the new place on Friday! Evan found this company called Jugglebox that rents out reusable, stackable moving boxes. They delivered them (disinfected!) to our current apartment, and they’ll come pick them up from the new place in two weeks. Very cool. Quite a step up from our last move, which we (very stupidly) did entirely with IKEA bags and at the expense of Daniel’s youthful energy. Never again.

WE ARE SO EXCITED TO MOVE. Really. It’s going to be so good. I can’t wait to get in there and take pictures—it’s such a cool space with so much potential. In the mean time, I’ll be taking a million photos from the rooftop view we’re giving up!

doorsixteen_wintryweekend_2

1. FrancineFeb 12, 20133:17 pm

I would have loved a nice, fun foot of snow to frolic around in. But instead we got four. Not so fun or pretty anymore.

Yeah, four feet is definitely a lot to contend with!! We rarely get that kind of snowfall here.

2. Cher@Newburgh RestorationFeb 12, 20134:00 pm

That top photo is amazing! I love all the layers you were able to catch.

3. KristinFeb 12, 20134:43 pm

That would be a tough view to leave.

4. NancyFeb 12, 20135:51 pm

We used a similar moving company for our last move and I loved it. I really hope the trend catches on outside of the metro area. We did an interstate move (just to CT but still…) and we had to bring the bins back to our old place for pick-up but it was definitely better than dealing with all those damn cardboard boxes… plus it forced me to unpack very quickly!
    Enjoy the new place! I love Cobble Hill (and in fact, will be there on Saturday night for a dinner party!). I lived, for a summer, on Smith between Sackett and DeGraw. Definitely one of the best neighborhoods in Brooklyn!

5. MsDFeb 12, 20136:32 pm

What a beautiful photograph. I can’t stop looking at it. You should sell prints!

Thank you! It’s just an iPhone photo, though, so I don’t think I can get a decent print out of it.

6. kay*Feb 12, 20136:47 pm

“Every year I somehow convince myself that Fritz and Bruno are real dogs and that they want to play in the snow just like all of the other happy dogs I see frolicking around in the stuff and having a blast. Well, Fritz and Bruno are not real dogs, and they do not want to play in the snow…..”

Reading this made me laugh….this is Howard EXACTLY.

I, selfishly, can’t wait for you to move…so I can see all the great stuff you do to the new space!

And I can’t wait for YOU to find and move into a new space so I can see what you do with it!

7. Melissa JaineFeb 12, 20137:46 pm

Maybe Fritz and Bruno do like the snow … it’s just they know what comes after. ; )
    My Lexie knows the word “bath” now, and I really should take a photo of her face after I’ve said it. I didn’t know dogs could have a look of such complete devastation!
    M.xx

8. AliciaFeb 12, 20138:58 pm

I love the photos of the bridge <3

9. SherryFeb 12, 20139:52 pm

Yeah my cat is a complete wuss when it comes to the snow too. The other neighborhood cats are out all day and after five minutes he is crying to be let back in to sit on the radiators. Yet, when the whether is nice he could be out there all day and still will literally cut you for even thinking about dragging his ass indoors.

Good luck with the move! Can’t wait to see the new place, and more importantly what you plan on doing to it!

10. kelly wFeb 13, 20133:04 am

Bronchial unhappiness empathy. Mine’s been loitering since before Thanksgiving. Hope we both get well SOON.

I love that photo at top left of collage. The carousel with snow. Beauteous. <3

11. SimoneFeb 13, 20134:50 am

Maybe you could get the dogs a sleigh, maybe they’ll like the snow from that point of view. Some beings are viewers, not participants (very important as well, otherwise the olympics f.i. would not make any sense). Have a wonderful day.

12. FionnualaFeb 13, 20138:30 am

LOVE the photos, possibly all the more as, when I visited NYC last summer, my first time there, I had a lovely morning wandering, I now realise, all around your soon-to-be-vacated stomping ground. Extremely atmospheric!

I also love the sound of those rentable moving boxes: what a clever observation of a gap in the market. And surely an incentive to unpack promptly, rather than let crap accumulate in their boxes for six months subsequent to the move.

13. JaimieFeb 13, 20132:20 pm

Hahaha, my dogs hate inclement weather too. They refuse to step off the covered patio if it’s wet or on the very rare occasion that we have snow/sleet/ice. They also hate wearing clothes so when it’s cold they often decide to pee in the house instead of using the doggy door. I always thought it was a breed thing (Italian Greyhounds), but maybe it’s a small dog thing?

14. ColinFeb 14, 201312:39 am

The main photo is gorgeous. I want to have it printed and display it in my home. Well done!

15. HannahFeb 14, 20134:41 pm

Hey Anna–

Gorgeous photo and reminds me of when the crows meet on the full bluff :)

Hey, your dogs are named after my husband and his dad…coincidence? I think not :)

We do miss seeing you around up north, so give a shout when you are around..and done moving.

Happy Valentine’s Day and keep spreading house love!

16. angee mareeFeb 16, 20133:20 am

hello :) I just wanted to let you know I did a short post about you on my makeshift blog http://cheapmilk.tumblr.com I used a few of your photos and linked to you. I hope that’s ok. Let me know if it’s not!

love your blog so much anna!

17. JulieFeb 19, 20135:17 pm

Nice pictures! I love Brooklyn! May you feel better!

18. SuswhitFeb 21, 20131:56 pm

Poor dogs! But that second paragraph was totally worth it. So funny.

19. SuzenFeb 25, 20138:08 am

Hey Anna, I just wanted to let you and your readers know that there is a wonderful moving company called Delancey Street Movers near you. It’s from a remarkable halfway house, originally located in San Francisco, featured a couple of years ago on 60 Minutes. (They also sell Christmas Trees.) They do a great job at a great price and are helped by the community to learn ways to take care of themselves, run a business and generally hit the rewind button on their lives. My daughter was part of it for 5 years and I can attest it is a remarkable program and has incredible results. Just FYI for if you ever move again!