APT: Cobble Hill

The best box.

Have you been sitting around wondering which box is the best box? Probably. Me too. Guess what? I figured it out! This box is the best box: KVITTRA from IKEA (specifically the “red” design), designed by Anna Salander. I’ve been noticing Salander’s name on a lot of nifty IKEA stuff for the past couple of years, but this box is just the best. It’s made of a sturdy cardboard that’s coated with a screen-printed paper. The paper has slightly embossed texture to it, almost like fabric. And the colors! Perfect.

I actually have two KVITTRA boxes stacked on top of each other here. They’re only $9, so I picked up a couple when we first rented the new apartment without really having a specific purpose in mind for them. Last night I finally put them together, and now they’re holding all of my extra buttons, pouches, cables and so on — all of the little things that have sort of just been floating around looking for a place to be stored. I could put them in a closet, sure, but they’re much nicer just sitting on the living room floor.

And yes, there are a few other things to talk about here, like the new rug (!!!), the credenza, the lion head…and the fact that I can’t stop painting walls with that Deep Space paint. I’ll get to all of that soon enough, but I just couldn’t wait to share this box! The best box.

Previous Post Next Post

Other Stuff You Might Be Into

• Reply Suzanne May 15, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Loove! Now I reallly have to head to Ikea, it’s been too long. And I do need some boxes! Thank you for the discovery!

• Reply rachael May 15, 2013 at 8:34 pm

yes! i have these too, they reminded me of old record storage boxes so have used them for 7″s. looked up her designs on the ikea site and realised i have the black and pink tradklover rug too…

• Reply Megan May 15, 2013 at 8:34 pm

dang, that IS a cute box! going to need to pick one (or 5) up on my next trip to ikea!

• Reply Trish May 15, 2013 at 8:37 pm

Love the boxes, but wow, I am envisioning that rug with muddy paws??? What is your secret for preventing that — share please.

• Reply Allison May 15, 2013 at 10:19 pm

OOOOOO! The rug! I love the rug! I’ve had my eye on a rug like that! Can’t wait to see more!

• Reply Mel Buchanan May 15, 2013 at 11:09 pm

Why yes, I was sitting around wondering about the best box. :) I love red. I love IKEA. I love the best box. I hope it is in IKEA Australia stores. And I do love that rug … does Bruno get lost in it?

• Reply AnnMarie May 15, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Is your rug the same as this rug? http://www.housetweaking.com/2013/05/13/puppies-rainbows/ They look the same to me, in which case I suppose the universe is telling me to go out and buy it.

On a more relevant note, I wish there was an Ikea closer to me.

• Reply Anna @ D16 May 15, 2013 at 11:38 pm

No, it’s not the same rug, but there are a lot of rugs in that kind of Moroccan Beni Ourain style. I’ll blog about it soon, I promise. :)

• Reply Natasa May 16, 2013 at 2:39 am

Bought the same box a month or so ago and the first thing I though when I saw it in was: Anna from D16 would love it, haha ;) I like your style very much and you’ve been so many times an inspiration for me. (ps. do you know this blog/artist http://seventytree.bigcartel.com/? )

• Reply Kaisa // NHWY May 16, 2013 at 4:18 am

Hi Anna! I have the same boxes in my office and love them also. :) That space paint looks good on your walls! Refresing after white on white season.

• Reply Eva | Happily Enough May 16, 2013 at 7:29 am

So cute!! I miss living close to ikea. :(.

Looks like the living room is coming along! I like that crazy animal head thing on the credenza… Can’t wait to see more!

• Reply sunny May 16, 2013 at 10:31 am

I just saw those boxes recently on an IKEA family blog entry…. super cute! and each size of KVITTRA has a different pattern. http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/60240097/?query=kvittra+box#/80240096

I need to make the two-hour each way drive to IKEA this weekend to get some of those boxes since they’re pretty and functional.

I love your idea of stacking the two and keeping them out in the open instead of hiding them away in a closet!

• Reply smäm May 16, 2013 at 10:35 am

Never seen them before and I’m at IKEA all the time :> Love ’em.

• Reply Lena May 16, 2013 at 11:45 am

You didn’t inherit sfgirlbybay’s former rug by any chance? Anyway, I really love those kinds of rugs. Nice boxes (and sideboard) too!

• Reply Ashly May 16, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Ma’am, I need to know more about this rug – especially where I can get it!

The credenza gorgeous, by the way!

• Reply Anna @ D16 May 16, 2013 at 1:21 pm

I’ll do a post on the rug soon, I promise!

• Reply Ilenia May 16, 2013 at 2:08 pm

aaaaahhhhh! credenzaaaa and ruuuug <3

• Reply Christina W. May 16, 2013 at 2:09 pm

Why does the closest IKEA have to be 3 hours away? T_T I wait until I have a million things I need from there and then go get it all at once. They better not sell out!

I love that lion(?) head thingy. Seriously love it. I can’t really tell what it’s made of, though? Like it kinda looks like that plastic rope type stuff that those really cool African bracelets/stools/baskets are made of?

• Reply Anna @ D16 May 16, 2013 at 2:12 pm

It’s made out of vintage sari fabric! I’ll take good pictures and post about it soon. :)

• Reply thelady May 16, 2013 at 2:39 pm

I just bought one of these last Sunday. I limited myself to one for now because I was already carrying a ton of awkward stuff and because I plan on visiting IKEA in June when I have guess in town. That really is the best pattern of the bunch. When I first saw it only I knew it was your style.

• Reply hydroju May 16, 2013 at 3:35 pm

Oh, spotted a DIY for this style of rug, not long ago.

Love the box, we had them for a while now at ikea denmark. The best box indeed.

• Reply rachelle May 16, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Oh me, oh my – thanks a MILLION for writing a blog post ALL ABOUT a box- no, not “a box” – THAT BOX. I have three of them plus the others one in the series too – the colors and patterns are just truly fantastic and I can really see why you devoted a whole post to that one in particular. (One caveat- my three year old sat on one and the corners don’t hold up well – the top kind of crushed down onto the bottom one and it tore at one corner. I can glue it back but the whole incident made me race back to Ikea to get another one just in case they go out of stock!)

• Reply Emma May 17, 2013 at 2:30 pm

I love those boxes! And I love you because you are still kind to the little word “of” and allow it to exist between “couple” and [noun of your choice] when everyone else in the internet world seems to have suddenly begun to hate that poor little word. <3

• Reply Anna @ D16 May 17, 2013 at 2:56 pm

Oof! I would never write “for the past couple years.” That sounds terrible! I wonder if those people also speak that way?

• Reply Jay May 31, 2013 at 9:34 pm

Seriously, who ever thought a cardboard box could be so cool! Stinkin awesome.

• Reply ScandStyle June 3, 2013 at 4:02 am

I would never have guessed these to be from IKEA! Looks great. I love the mix of old and new styles in this picture.

• Reply Kristina July 2, 2013 at 5:19 am

THAT RUG!!! We want to hear about THAT RUG!

• Reply Andrea August 19, 2013 at 8:42 pm

Loving everything in this photo! What paint color did you use? Our walnut credenza would look great against it!

• Reply Anna @ D16 August 20, 2013 at 6:55 am

Hi Andrea, the wall paint is Benjamin Moore Deep Space.