Yeah, I could live there.

doorsixteen_47parkave_1

Yeah, I could live there is a not-so-new, occasional D16 feature wherein I post pictures of homes I want to break into, kick out the inhabitants and move in. Today we’re traveling to 47 Park Avenue and the Edwardian-style home of Michael and Jonathan (and their dogs, Jacob Crackers, Oscar Wilde and Charlie Buckets) in Yorkshire, England.

I’ve actually been meaning to post about Michael and Jonathan’s houses (they have another one in London) for many months now, but I’ve had such a hard time narrowing down what pictures to share! Their homes are both so gorgeous and inspiring and perfectly renovated that it’s impossible to write about either without using 600 photos. Fortunately for all of us, Michael blogs about both houses himself! I discovered his blog through Jonathan’s location agency, Shoot Factory (a veritable trove of inspiration in itself — I’ve spent many hours clicking through all of those lovely London homes and fantasizing about all of my alternate lives).

So how about just one part of one house, then? The room I keep coming back to whenever I think about their Yorkshire home is the small bedroom they converted into a dressing room for Michael (Jonathan has his own dressing room, which is also lovely!). Oh, it is FABULOUS. Check out this side-by-side:

47 Park Ave, before/after

WOWZA. The room on the left looks like every sad, musty bed and breakfast, and the room on the right looks like…um, I don’t have a good comparison. It looks like a really, really nice dressing room belonging to a person with good taste and fancy clothes. (I’m such an observant and talented writer, I know.) Michael started working on his dressing room in summer 2011, and he’s still putting finishing touches on it — fortunately for those of us who like that sort of thing, he takes loads of progress shots along the way!

doorsixteen_47parkave_progress

The decision to leave the window casings and sashes bare wood while painting the baseboards, doors and floor makes me so happy. It also makes me want to strip off the 50 layers of paint on my own windows! I’m supremely envious of Michael’s ability to keep his clothes and shoes looking so nice on full display. If I put my own clothes and shoes in the exact same room, it would not look like that. Nobody wants to put old, scuffed-up Swedish clogs in a glass cabinet, you know?

doorsixteen_47parkave_2

About a year into the project, the dressing room reached its first stage of being “done.” And it looked fantastic! An antique marble-topped mahogany dental cabinet at the center of the room, scaffolding poles for hanging clothes, a vintage Scolari chandelier, a super-duper-fancy glass cabinet for shoes…how can you possibly improve on that?!

The answer to that question is one I’d never have come up with for a dressing room, but it’s exactly right: TILE. Specifically, subway tile with dark grout. Ohhhh yeah. I don’t need to tell you how I feel about that (I feel like maybe my kitchen and Michael’s dressing room could be friends, no?).

doorsixteen_47parkave_tile

SO GOOD. I want to tile everything now. And how nice is that angled wall where the entry door is? The dark grout really brings out that wall and the slanted ceiling — it just looks so much more architecturally interesting, and, contrary to what a lot of people think about subway tile, the room now feels so much warmer and cozier. I really love it.

Thank you so much for allowing me to share your home, Michael and Jonathan! I’ll keep following your renovation progress at your blog (eagerly awaiting the shop, too!) and all of the beautiful locations at Shoot Factory.

doorsixteen_47parkave_3

All photos courtesy of and © 47 Park Avenue

1. KellyJun 10, 20131:23 pm

SO GOOD. Thanks for sharing!

Don’t think I didn’t notice what you put in the URL field, Kelly. Wheeee! + YAY. ;)

Kelly /

2. CarlaJun 10, 20131:26 pm

This is just perfect.

3. Emily @ The Em DashJun 10, 20131:38 pm

Wow. Who knew such a little room could pack such a big punch!

I would die to have that cabinet in the middle of the room, and the tile is just fabulous. I must go and check out the rest of their home now …

4. jeannetteJun 10, 20131:52 pm

and the pugs hayulped.

5. StephanieJun 10, 20132:06 pm

Wow! It looked great before the tile, but the tile really takes the room to the next level! It looks like a beautiful apothecary or something, with shoes and clothing on display instead of ointments and cosmetics. I would love to have a closet like this ;-)

And YOU have a wardrobe that would look amazing on full display!!

6. JayJun 10, 20132:40 pm

Ugh. The tile is horrid. Looks like a public loo.

So very kind of you, Jay! Must be nice to live somewhere with such beautiful public restrooms — it’s clearly made you a happy and polite person. :)

7. Grumble GirlJun 10, 20133:23 pm

That is FANTASTIC! I love, Love, LOVE the use of vintage cabinets for displaying shoes! Glory BE!! There’s a curio cabinet amongst our family’s things… I really must have another look at that. Hmmmm…

8. LayneJun 10, 20135:45 pm

Love the tile! The room looked fine before with just white walls, but that tile really makes the room. Thanks for sharing!

9. Zoe GrussJun 11, 20137:47 am

This is amazing! I don’t think I have ever seen such a beautiful dressing room. The tiles transform the room from great to out of this world!

10. gracieJun 11, 20139:22 am

That is one amazing room, I want to stand in it and gawk at everything. I am loving that it belongs to a gent too.

11. MaryJun 11, 201310:32 am

I love every decorating decision he made…except the tile. I appreciate the use of unexpected materials and agree that the walls look better treated differently than the ceiling to highlight that architectural curve. But I actually don’t think the tile makes it cozy at all. I would’ve suggested a wallpaper with a large repeat, maybe something with a bold geometric pattern to contrast that antique furniture, but it would definitely look nice with a traditional pattern too. Of course, all that matters is if HE is happy with it and how it makes HIM feel to be in that space every day. It really is gorgeous. And if it makes him feel giddy to wake up and get ready to face the day there, then that’s the best design of all. :)

12. amyoliverJun 11, 201311:10 am

I love 47 Park Avenue and Shoot Factory. Their home is so gorgeous and I am so envious….

13. DELEITE DESIGNJun 12, 20135:32 pm

we are following this transformation, is amazing how this boring and old house is now a very trendy space

14. Eco HandymanJun 16, 20135:21 pm

This looks great! I love the tile on the wall, Thanks for sharing!

15. JayJun 18, 20139:31 pm

Great space, and great puppy names! Charlie Buckets!!

16. HectorJun 25, 20134:09 pm

This is such a great space! The light fixture has to be my favorite part!

17. SteveJun 28, 20132:10 am

This is a fabulous space! With the tiles on the wall and the light fixture it’s just perfect!

18. dabneyJun 28, 201311:04 am

wow. just wow. thanks for sharing.

19. SmithMay 29, 20145:04 am

I think it requires passion to renovate a house with such high standards. People like me don’t have patience to wait for this long for house decoration. But will surely build something like this when i buy a new house. Hopefully it will be soon. :-)