New York in the movies: Moonstruck.

My first apartment — rented when I moved off-campus after my sophomore year of college — was not in New York City. It was in Yonkers, a city often (wrongly) assumed to be part of NYC, probably because of Neil Simon. It is true that if I walked out of my apartment on McLean Avenue and crossed the street, I’d officially be in the Bronx, but my heart knew I was technically in Westchester County. It wasn’t until I finished school a couple of years later that I finally got myself to Brooklyn. My dad, who lived on the Upper East Side and on Staten Island when I was a kid, had moved back to Manhattan by then. Aside from Coney Island, Brooklyn was still mostly uncharted territory for me. A couple of my brothers were living in Cobble Hill, and I’d visited each of their apartments exactly once before deciding I wanted to live in the same neighborhood. If I’m being honest, there was one particular thing about the house on Henry Street I wound up moving into that really got me excited: It was a block and a half away from Cammareri Bros., the bakery for which Nicolas Cage and Danny Aiello’s characters in Norman Jewison’s Moonstruck (Ronny and Johnny Cammareri, of course) are named and in the basement oven-room of which Cher first meets her “wolf without a foot.”

doorsixteen_moonstruck_cammareri
(“Now” photo via Google Earth)

Yes, Cammareri Bros. was a real bakery! It closed down soon after I moved to the neighborhood and later reopened in a different location, and the space (along with its next door neighbor, formerly the Little Chatter Box Beauty Salon) has since been occupied by a series of cafés, currently Maybelle’s, who, it’s worth mentioning, make a mean tofu scramble and an even meaner iced coffee. Both the interior and exterior are still pretty much the same as in the Cammareri days, and a portion of the old bakery sign is displayed inside. If you go, make sure you look at the floor when you first walk in — an inlay of the letters “NC” (for Nicolo Cammareri, who opened the bakery in 1921) remain in the old terrazzo floor.

EDIT: While checking on the spelling of his name, I came across Nicolo Cammareri’s 1940 US Census record. Pretty neat, right? 206 Sackett is the address of the side entrance, which leads to the apartments above. Also interesting that he had a daughter named Grace — there was an elderly Italian woman on my block named Grace. She used to sign for packages for me when I was at work, and she had a Frank Sinatra shrine in her apartment. She passed away around 2000. If she was born in 1915 like the census record indicates, that would have put her in her mid-80s when I lived there. I wonder if she was Nicolo Cammareri’s daughter! Further investigation needed…

The first time I saw Moonstruck was 25 years ago, with my mother, in a movie theater in Kingston. I was 12 years old. I remember loving it, naturally, but I mostly remember the specifics of the night because my mother’s car got a flat tire when we were driving back to Rhinebeck after the movie. Another thing that sticks in my mind from that first viewing is the breakfast Olympia Dukakis prepared:

moonstruck_eggs

I had never seen anything like that before, but it looked so delicious. I asked my mother to recreate the dish at home, and up until I stopped eating eggs a few years ago, it remained a breakfast favorite for me. For all these years I’d assumed it was an Italian dish, but Googling tells me it’s usually either called “eggs in a hole” or “eggs in a basket,” and everyone everywhere knows what it is — except for Swedes and Jews, apparently, because I’m quite sure it would never have been a part of my life without that scene in Moonstruck. (As an aside, I see that V.K.Rees has come up with a recipe for vegan-friendly eggless eggs in a basket, which I will definitely have to try out ASAP.)

In the years since that first viewing, I’d guess I’ve seen Moonstruck at least 30 times in part or full. Beyond its Brooklyn-ness, it’s just a fantastic movie. I’m sure I don’t need to convince you of that, though, because pretty much every human alive has seen it. (And if for some crazy reason you haven’t, it’s on HBO GO right now. You can also rent it from Amazon Instant. It’s not on Netflix, of course, because nothing you want to watch is ever on Netflix.) Aside from Cher’s old face and Nicolas Cage’s old hairline, I’ve always had this fixation with the kitchen in the Castorini family house — which, if you ever want to take a Moonstruck walking tour, is located at 19 Cranberry Street in Brooklyn Heights, about a mile from formerly-Cammareri’s. For years I’ve carried around a mental picture of its soft green hues, vintage subway tiles and the overall feeling of a family gathering place. Today I decided to watch the movie again specifically for the kitchen, and to finally take some screen captures.

moonstruck_01

moonstruck_02

moonstruck_05

Two things I noticed for the first time when I was taking the screen captures were the painted-over cabinet hardware and the laminate countertops, neither of which are hallmarks of gorgeous vintage kitchens, but are indicative of the fact that this movie was filmed in an actual family home, and not on a set built for a movie. The same goes for that flocked vinyl tablecloth on the kitchen table. I guess I just overlooked that stuff the first 29 times I watched the movie! Regardless, the kitchen is beautiful, and it’s full of life. And that tile!! Ahhh, the tile. It doesn’t come through in the captures, but it’s covered with cracks and crazing. 19 Cranberry was built in 1829 so it’s not original to the house (tiled kitchens didn’t become standard until the Victorian era), but it’s clearly very old. The house sold in 2008 for nearly $4 million, and thankfully the listing photos don’t show the kitchen — I don’t think I could bear to find out if it had been gutted.

(Or you know, to discover the whole thing was actually shot on a soundstage in Toronto. Shhhhhh.)

Meanwhile, back at Cammareri Bros.…

moonstruck_06

moonstruck_07

moonstruck_13

In the movie, Ronny’s apartment is above the bakery. The entrance was on the Sackett Street side of the building, to the right of the stairs that led to the basement ovens. I’m almost positive that’s where the apartment interior was actually filmed. I have a distant memory of a friend who used to live in the neighborhood telling me so. Judging by the position of the windows and the color of the façades visible across the street, I’m guessing it’s on the second floor of the building, with the living room facing Henry Street. In any case, this is pretty much exactly what a classic pre-war Brooklyn apartment has always looked like in my mind. Ironically, the closest I’ve ever come to finding a rental apartment in this kind of vintage condition was my first place in Yonkers! I love the beadboard, the pressed-tin in the kitchen and the moldings on the walls. And that old refrigerator with its non-safety handle, just waiting to trap small children inside when it gets put out for trash…sigh. Also, I don’t know if this is intentional, but I love that the color of the Vespa (used for storing books!) is the same as the cabinets in the Castorini kitchen.

I wonder who lives in this apartment now, and if it still looks like this. I hope so. Yesterday I stood outside the entrance for a little while, waiting to see if anyone would come out. Not that I would’ve said anything to them, but you know…just to see. Now that I live in the neighborhood again, I can do all the Moonstruck-stalking I want.

1. EvaJul 20, 201311:31 pm

Oh man I used to eat at that cafe (naidres/maybelles/whatever) all the time when I lived on Henry St.! I had no idea it used to be THE cammareri bros! I always wondered what the NC on the floor stood for. Thanks for sharing that bit of Henry St. history!

Eva, did you ever notice the difference in flooring between the two sides of the cafe? The terrazzo by the entrance/counter is where the bakery was, and the green and white mosaic tiles belonged to the beauty salon. I’m so glad none of the many post-Cammareri occupants have ripped out the flooring.

2. ARIELJul 21, 20132:55 am

I’m Jewish and grew up on toad in the hole, but – to be fair – my mom was raised in an Irish Catholic household. In New York, actually.

The toad is such a favorite of mine that I have often joked/kinda seriously about opening a café with several varieties anchoring the menu. I’d tell you the name I thought of for it but it’s reeeeeally good, so I don’t want anyone taking it, okay? Because I might actually open my toad in the hole spot someday. Maybe! It could happen…

GO FOR IT! I used to say I wanted to open a fancy sit-down restaurant with nothing on the menu but different kinds of popcorn.

(I thought “toad in the hole” was a baked casserole thing with sausages in it??)

3. lisaJul 21, 20135:45 am

love this post. that movie. Cher! and of course, “egg in the nest”

4. JJul 21, 20137:22 am

Jews and swedes?? Where did you come up with that stupidity

That was a joke, J. I have a Swedish mother and a Jewish father.

Shelly /

Clearly not a regular reader. I thought it was funny Anna. I also had never heard of this until a few years ago. That person called it “toad in a hole”.

5. ElissaJul 21, 20138:07 am

I love that movie, especially the kitchen! I imagine that’s the kitchen that they ripped out of my bungalow when they installed the lovely Eisenhower/Kennedy era kitchen we have now. Not sure if my dad’s English/Boston Irish family was familiar, but in my mom’s Brooklyn German family, eggs-in-the-hole were a common weekend breakfast. Loved them growing up! btw “egg-eyes” are another name for them

Maybe my father just never let on about this culinary treat! He insists he’d never had macaroni and cheese until he was in his mid-70s, so who knows what my grandmother was cooking, hahaha.

6. marissa @ the bootJul 21, 201310:26 am

wow, i just discovered your blog, and what better way to draw me in than a good moonstruck post! i absolutely adore this movie and have seen it more times than i can count. my italian-american family is similar to loretta’s, and i even grew up eating my eggs like that! gotta love a great, worn-in kitchen like that. :)

7. LJul 21, 201310:26 am

LOVE THAT MOVIE!!! I never realized it was based on real Brooklyn locations/families, so thanks for the info.

Unfortunately, though, Hollywood could never, ever fit all the necessary equipment for filming an interior into even a roomy upstairs apartment.

What usually happens is that the set designers take measurements and vast amounts of pictures of the desired locations, then re-create them with moveable walls on a sound stage somewhere. The characters are in the “kitchen” and we can see three walls around them –but the fourth wall and ceiling are open for the cameras, cables, lights, sound booms, and all the other stuff necessary for film.

Either way, those interiors are so right.

I know quite a few people whose houses and apartments have been used in movies! Not everything is filmed on sound stages. ;)

It’s not uncommon to see movies and TV shows being made inside of people’s apartments in NYC, actually. They usually do it at night, so you can see the light flooding out onto the street with all the equipment, actors and other people inside and trailers and craft services outside. I guess they find a way to make it work when they want a specific interior on a certain budget.

8. DianeJul 21, 201310:46 am

love this- thanks for a really great window into this film- going to check out hbo-to-go after my weekend chores are finished!

9. clfJul 21, 201311:27 am

L is correct, this is a movie set, not a real kitchen.

Nothing in a big Hollywood movie is by accident. If there are laminate countertops in a kitchen scene, it is exactly because that’s what the director and set designer want you to see. These two kitchens are appropriate to the characters who inhabit them. Every last detail in each shot is intentional.

Moonstruck interiors were shot on a soundstage in director Norman Jewison’s hometown of Toronto.

Oh, I don’t question at all whether soundstages were used for Moonstruck! This is not a shock to me. ;) I’m only making a case for Ronny’s apartment having been filmed on location because (a) I’m pretty sure the actual apartment belonged to a friend of a friend of mine — I can check on that later today, though, and (b) the window positioning matches up perfectly with the exerior windows…and I can see the actual buildings that are on the other side of the street through those windows.

I can state with almost 100% confidence that the bakery scenes were indeed filmed on location inside of Cammareri’s (and in their oven room). Their real-life bakers at the time were used in the oven scene (including Gilberto Godoy, who was the acting owner/baker at Cammareri’s at the time), in fact, as were a number of Carroll Gardens/Cobble Hill locals. It’s hard for me to believe they would have transported non-actors/extras from Brooklyn to Toronto! I guess it’s possible, but it seems very unlikely — especially since there are so many people in the neighborhood who have stories about watching the filming inside of the bakery. Ronny and Johnny’s last name was changed from the original script to Cammareri because it was already printed on all of the bags, signs, etc. inside and outside of the bakery.

Here’s an article about the filming at the bakery, which notes that Jewison chose Cammareri in part because of its non-modernized, coal-burning ovens:

10. LilyJul 21, 201312:57 pm

This might be my favorite blog post ever. I lurve Moonstruck and, along with my family, have adored the movie’s interiors, that breakfast, and of course, young Nick Cage (although he’s arguably cuter in Valley Girl where his teeth are still jacked and not movie star-like). I actually was always drawn to Ronnie’s bathroom. Need to rewatch to see if that memory stands.

Wait, now I can’t remember the bathroom!! I have to watch it again now, haha.

I hate movie-star teeth. I was just saying to a friend the other night that the ’70s marked the end of normal teeth in American movies.

11. MKHJul 21, 20132:27 pm

What a great post, Moonstruck has always been one of my favorite movies!

12. CLFJul 21, 20133:09 pm

Actually, you wrote:

“Two things I noticed for the first time when I was taking the screen captures were the painted-over cabinet hardware and the laminate countertops, neither of which are hallmarks of gorgeous vintage kitchens, but are indicative of the fact that this movie was filmed in an actual family home, and not on a set built for a movie.”

The kitchen, lovely as it is, is a set.

With his cast in place, Norman Jewison finally began looking for locations to shoot Moonstruck. Of course the exteriors had to be shot in New York, where the streets of the Brooklyn were almost a character unto themselves…. but the indoor scenes, that was another story. In January of 1987 Jewison started shooting the six weeks of interiors in his hometown of Toronto. The soundstage was constructed in the old Wrigley warehouse on Carlaw Street.

I’m really, really not purporting to be an expert about this film, CLF — this is just a post about my relationship to the movie.

Like I said in my last reply to you, I’m only making case for the interior of the bakery building (with Ronny’s apartment above) being filmed on location because of personal experience with people who lived in that area during the time of filming and appeared in the movie as extras. That’s not the same building as the Castorini kitchen with the painted-over hardware. They’re about a mile — and two neighborhoods — apart. I am quite certain that there were at least a couple of interiors were filmed on location, unless you think the interior of the Met was recreated in Toronto…

Maybe we can move on? I appreciate your Googling skills, but I’m not sure this really matters one way or another in the context of my post.

Ignoring my own suggestion to move on…

For whatever it’s worth, the DVD commentary track states that most of the interior scenes at the Castorini house were indeed filmed on location at 19 Cranberry. In a behind the scenes documentary on the DVD, there are shots in which you can clearly see the whole crew/equipment crammed into the kitchen (which has four walls), followed by a comment from the production designer that the house was chosen in part because of the scale of the kitchen.

13. LilyJul 21, 20138:45 pm

Ps that still of Olympia Dukakis sitting at the table pretty much captures her character to a tee.

14. GraceJul 22, 201312:00 am

We always called it “bird’s nest toast.” Thanks for all the great blog posts lately!

15. ScottJul 22, 20131:12 am

“Old man, you give those dogs another piece of my food and I am gonna kick you till your dead”

My favorite movie of all time. When I miss my family and youth I watch this movie and it just makes me laugh and cry. Oh the kitchen, so like my Nona/Grandma’s, and the family, yeah we’re there!

Nick Cage as Ronny C. – Stunning. Cher as Loretta, spitting image of my youthful Ma, Stunning!

Anna, I have never commented on your blog before, Its the BEST one out there, and this post is just the icing on the cake. Thank you so much. Ciao Bella

Thanks, Scott! Glad this post brought you out of your silence. ;)

That Olympia Dukakis line might be the best thing in the whole movie. She’s SO great!!

16. MinnaJul 22, 20138:18 am

My comment has nothing to do with this post :)
    I randomly found your blog last week and you’re my favourite already! Especially before and after pictures from House and the way how you have ability to make everything look beautiful, eventually. You are really inspiring (photos and also the way you write) and you just got a new reader from Finland!

Greetings from Helsinki!
    Minna

p.s. It is also exciting to read/see there is so many Finnish things you like, Marimekko, Moomins, did you mention Artek somewhere, and so on. I like them too!!

Hi, Minna! Welcome! :)

17. KatrinJul 22, 201310:32 am

Oh I love Moonstruck! So glad you reminded me of that movie, I need to watch it again. And wasn´t Cher beautiful with her “old face”…
    Also, funny about the eggs in a basket thingy. I am from Germany and as a child I had an American friend whose mother used to serve this for breakfast! So this was always my idea of an “American breakfast” :)

18. AlexJul 22, 201311:00 am

” It’s not on Netflix, of course, because nothing you want to watch is ever on Netflix.”
    Ain’t that the truth, Ruth?

Moonstruck is one of my favorites and I also have such a vivid memory of my first viewing. It was at this theater> when it was still an actual movie theater. Now it’s just a cheap concert and bad comedy venue. I saw it with my mother and sister as we all loved Cher. What a great movie! I generally prefer movies where someone dies at the end, but this was so uplifting.

Years later, now I love the movie for all the aesthetic qualities. As a filmmaker — and mainly production designer — the attention to detail in the clothes, the props, the sets makes me truly envious. What a terrific job!

19. CWJul 22, 20132:01 pm

I also LOVE Moonstruck and have watched it just as many times!

Love it when she gets her dress and her hair done, Ha!

And yes – that kitchen! the built-ins, that tile, the size of it! I also loved the professor’s utter surprise when he finds out that Loretta’s mother lives in that huge house in the middle of manhattan! Something so real about the fact that immigrants came, they saved up to buy a house, stay in it for generations until one day its worth a thousand times what they paid for it. Such a charming movie overall…

The house is in Brooklyn, not Manhattan. ;)

20. JoJul 22, 20132:24 pm

Ok, I have to watch this movie now. I’ve never seen it.

(Netflix – lilihammer was really good!)

Love your site, it’s one I always come back to.

I just looked up Lilyhammer. What crazy casting for a show set in Norway! I love Steven Van Zandt, though, so I’ll give it a try. :)

21. LindsayJul 22, 20132:59 pm

You so rock for this post. I used to watch Moonstruck when I was a kid… as a young Italian kid growing up in California, Moonstruck was one of those movies that told me everything I needed to know about the East Coast lol… I had actually forgotten about this movie… I think I will go rent it on Amazon. Thanks for the reminder!

22. Jade Sheldon-BurnsedJul 22, 20134:06 pm

My word, I love that movie SO much. When I found out my husband had never seen it, I sat him down and made him watch it. He thought it was going to be awful and I’m happy to report he has never felt more wrong in his life…

I made my husband watch Tuff Turf under similar circumstances, but I can’t say the outcome was the same, hahahah…

23. IleniaJul 22, 20136:59 pm

I loooooove this post!

24. DusaJul 22, 20138:36 pm

That brass outlet cover in the pic with OD sitting in front of the sink. Swoonworthy.

25. AmandaJul 22, 201310:23 pm

Oh man, Nicolas Cage was such an uber babe back in the day. I need to watch Valley Girl again…

26. TrishJul 23, 20135:53 pm

We call that egg toast combo a one eyed jack. It’s a Texas thing!

27. Mamma BiscuitJul 23, 20139:30 pm

La Luna, La Luna, Guarda La Luna . . . cue in howling dogs!!! I so love you for writing a post about Moonstruck! This movie has resonated with me from the very beginning and I think you know why! I mean, my father wears a three piece suit to do yard work, that’s how Italian I am! It’s awful whenever someone brings this movie up because I can go on and on, reciting lines verbatim until someone slaps me in the face alla Cher and screams out, “SNAP OUT OF IT”

xo

28. sierraJul 24, 20137:11 pm

Anna, I love you even more now after reading this post, (I realize I don’t even know you, but this makes me think even more highly of you) Moonstruck is my all time favorite movie, and I always LOVED the home shots and neighborhood “feeling” that the movie portrayed! What a wonderful thing to be able to check out all the places in person and research some of the history! I totally want to do a Moonstruck tour in conjunction with the family history tour!!!! Aloha~

29. EvaJul 25, 20132:44 pm

First time reading your blog and I loved your post about Moonstruck. Can you believe I had never seen that movie! I immediately rented it after reading your post and I loved it! I think I will now become a regular reader of your blog :)

30. SelinaJul 25, 20135:08 pm

Are we the same person? Every post you write rings truer and truer with me! Thanks for this great post on a wonderful movie. It’s been on my top 10 since also seeing it 20+ years ago.

31. MaritaJul 25, 20139:25 pm

I watched Moonstruck last night due to reading this post, I can’t believe I had never seen it! It was SO great. While I don’t have the New York associations with it that you do, I also loved the house and the little homey details. Thanks for always writing such interesting posts!

I also wanted to comment because I never have, and I decided a while back to de-lurk from all of my favourite blogs, and thank you guys for doing what you do! (I wrote a similar post on Daniel’s blog today too :P)

I want you to know how much your blog and advice has meant to me. I think about the amazing posts, tips, colours, and general design choices you make ALL the time when I have been designing my new space. You, Manhattan Nest, Little Green Notebook and Emily Henderson are all my absolute favourite design blogs, yours especially for your choice in wall colours (my kitchen is now Deep Space!), and the way you make modernism look so fresh and comfortable, but chic! So, thank you for writing your blog, I hope you never stop, because I am so excited whenever a new post comes up :)

Marita, thank you SO much for leaving this comment, really. You just made my day. <3

32. RosieJul 26, 20132:38 am

I love this post. I’ve seen that movie several times. If I lived in the area I’d totally do some moonstruck stalking myself.

33. TerryJul 26, 20132:57 am

I hope you got permission to use those movie stills, Anna?

Failing that, credits on each of them wouldn’t go amiss.

Especially important now that you’re making money from your blog.

T

Hi Terry,

These are screen shots (taken by me on my computer while watching the movie — command-shift-3/4 if you’re using a Mac), not stills. A still is a photograph taken on the set of a movie during filming, not a capture or frame enlargement of the completed film — just so we have our terminology straight. For what it’s worth, though, the majority of actual film stills are published without copyright (or credit, for that matter) and are in the public domain. That’s neither here nor there, though, since these are not stills. As far as credits not going amiss, I believe I’ve credited both the name of the film and its director within the context of the post. I’ve also provided several legal options for viewing the full movie through paid services.

The question of whether a small number of low-resolution screen captures of movies fall under fair use guidelines when used in this type of context has been discussed on this blog before and on countless others. I can find no real world examples of movie studios objecting to this type of use. Here’s some reading material for you if you’re not familiar with the four factors of fair use guidelines, which are by all accounts more than a little vague and absolutely subjective, but still worth being aware of:

Again, the key is that I’ve used a small number of web-resolution screen shots representing a small percentage of the original work (8 frames from a 102-minute movie) for critical discussion of the film and its contents, while not diminishing the market for the original work.

Thanks for your concern, though!

34. ElinJul 26, 20137:36 am

Oh man, I had forgotten all about cooking eggs in bread like that. My mom used to make that for special breakfasts when I was a kid. I’m Swedish, but i think my mom learned it while au-pairing in Britain in the 70s.

35. KellyJul 26, 20134:10 pm

Eggy in a basket! SO GOOD.

Totally unrelated but…makeup storage update please!!!

Ordered Nomess Copenhagen box and returned it. Too big (I know, I know, should have measured first…but I got excited) and clunky….though, still kinda cute. What to do now…?

Argh, really?! I still haven’t ordered one because I’m too lazy to measure. :\

36. EvaJul 26, 201310:02 pm

I adore this movie! Reminds me that I need to watch it again. I’ve always loved that kitchen, too. Thanks for the post. It was so fun to hear all the little tidbits you’ve picked up from living nearby.

37. JenJul 27, 20133:05 am

This movie is one of my favorites! Even though I haven’t seen it in a long time, I still randomly bust out with “La Luna!” in my best Italian accent every now and again (no one ever gets it *sad face*). Your post prompted me to rent it tonight – thank you!

38. JenniferJul 27, 20139:33 pm

I never read blog comments for a good reason and I made the mistake of reading these because I wanted to see how many people loved the movie as much as me (and you). You must have a lot of patience and a great sense of humor to be able to respond with such grace to so many people feeling the need to tell you you’re wrong when you are not. Love your blog and I love how you deal with criticism. I should take lessons.

Believe me, the first reply I write (and don’t publish) to certain comments is usually not one that could be described as “graceful.” ;) I must say, though, that nearly all of the comments I receive here are considerate and thoughtful, even when someone disagrees with me or wants to share another point of view. I have no idea why this of all posts stirred up some (minor) controversy, but it could definitely be worse! All in all, I really love reading comments and getting into discussions with people who have something to contribute. I don’t like blogging to be one-sided.

gracie /

I agree with Jennifer, I think you are very gracious & patient! I watched this movie based on this blog post, it’s available on Netflix in Ireland, I just loved it so much! I could actually relate to some of it and I was just howling with laughter! Your life is going down the toilet! Ha ha, oh dear, I shouldn’t be laughing. I want to watch it again this weekend.

39. seeandsewJul 28, 20134:47 pm

I remember watching this movie in middle school and seeing that egg in the hole scene. I thought it was an amazing idea! I tried to recreate it with white toast but it didn’t turn out like the movie. :( It’s great to know that scene was memorable for some else too!

40. Vivian DoanJul 31, 20134:01 pm

I love love love Moonstruck. I don’t know what it is about that movie but I have seen it so many times and I can still watch it over and over. You are not alone in your love for this film. Each character is hilarious and I just love that scene when her dad tells Johnny to keep his eyes open… and Johnny’s so clueless! I laugh every time. The acting, the script… the scenery… I love this film!

41. ElizabethSep 25, 20139:38 am

Thank you so much for this post. Before I’d even seen Moonstruck, in the 1980s, my little sister was making the eggs in the toast dish, which she learned at school in Home Ec.. A couple of years ago I re-watched this film and was so taken by the egg scene since I remembered my sister making those. Well, blow me away, last fall I was reading Diary of a Mad Housewife, which takes place in NYC (and made into a film in the ’70s with Carrie Snodgrass and Frank Langella) and the narrator, Tina, mentions that her husband is making these for dinner (as she forgot to order food from the deli) and she calls them ‘Sunshines’. I nearly jumped for joy – thanks to this book I now know what theses are called! (Diary of a Mad Housewife is such a great book for a snapshot what it was like for a women living in NYC in the 70s.)

42. RainyMay 11, 20148:21 pm

Grace Cammareri IS my husband’s grandmother, daughter of Nicolo Cammereri. She worked in the bakery when she was in her teens. She taught me how to make cannoli. Her father would smoke when the bread was baking. By the time he put his cigarette out, the loaves of bread were finished.

Rainy! You have no idea how happy it makes me to see this comment. :)

43. Frank RivasMay 16, 20148:52 am

I was in NYC for the first time in November 1989…I took a cab and landed just in front of the Camarieri home,in 19 Cramberry ST. I stood just in front of the house entrance as if somehow expecting to see that wonderfull family again…Cosmo,Loretta,Ross and Perry Castorini and his doggies.The Cammareri brothers invited too…
    lost my family in1975…guess Ive been kind of looking for a new one since then or something.
    What a crack I am…thanks a big lot for the post Anna.

44. nancyJun 7, 20145:19 pm

I am a Moonstruck Addict. Own the VHS, 2 DVDs, know the entire movie by heart… I live in San Francisco and am coming to NYC for the first time in my 57 yr old life, I know… Anyway, is there a MOONSTRUCK tour I can take!??? I checked 6-7 years ago and found one, but I think it’s fallen into obscurity.

Thanks.

I don’t know, Nancy, but that sure sounds like fun! :)