Checking in on Orla Kiely at home.

doorsixteen_orlakiely_dwellmag1
Photo by Chris Tubbs

Late last year, I read in a Times magazine article (subscription only, sorry) that Irish designer Orla Kiely and her family had moved to a new home in southwestern London. Having been an admirer of her patterns, textiles and housewares forever as well as being more than bit obsessive about the inside of her former house — particularly once I realized it had roughly the same floorplan as mine — I’ve been very eager to see more of this new home! I’m really, really excited to see it featured in the September issue of Dwell.

doorsixteen_orlakiely_dwellmag3
Photo by Chris Tubbs

Unsurprisingly, it’s gorgeous. I love spotting things that I recognize from Orla’s old house, like the light fixture, the print above the fireplace and the TV cabinet. I’ve always been impressed by the fact that she surrounds herself with her own work, too — she comments on that in Dwell: “Sometimes you have people who say, ‘I don’t want to live in my work,’ but, in the end, I love what I do and how it looks — so I’m happy to have it.”

doorsixteen_orlakiely_dwellmag2
Photo by Chris Tubbs

THIS KITCHEN!! So cute. So bright! That center unit (designed by Orla and architect Maxim Laroussi) is so beautiful, with the colorful doors and the banded-edge cabinets. It reminds me of this Eichler kitchen, only fresher and happier. The green Marmoleum floor is particularly great.

You can see the full slideshow and read more about the house in Dwell. There’s also a great article and slideshow (with different photos showing more of the house, also by Chris Tubbs) online at The London Magazine.

And now, one last farewell to Orla Kiely’s old house, which I will always adore…especially those multi-colored tiles in the hearth. I hope the new homeowners love them as well!

doorsixteen_orlakiely_oldhouse
Photos: (1, 2, 6) Chris Tubbs; (3, 4, 5) House and Home; (7) Roland Bello

1. Victoria SmithJul 31, 20131:39 pm

oooh, awesome find. i love it!!

2. IleniaJul 31, 20132:25 pm

oh man, I love it.
    I checked out the slideshow on the london magazine and every other room it’s as beautiful! ahh!

The garden! Looooove.

3. MJ @ One-Parade.comJul 31, 20132:57 pm

Beautiful! If I could just buy a home she’s already decorated, I’d be set…

4. Heather MooreJul 31, 20133:43 pm

Great post. I had exactly the same thoughts as you did, as I compared the old (much-stalked) home to the new. I also love that she’s so damn huge in the world, and yet her home is kind of modest, and looks like somewhere people actually live. We like you, Orla Kiely!

5. kelly wJul 31, 20134:28 pm

Possibly a dumb question, but do you have any idea what those colorful wooden things are, on the floor in front of the TV cabinet?

I have no idea, Kelly, sorry!

6. Ha, ha I love it! “Goodbye Old Orla’s house” I admit I was a total stalker as well. She had me at the fireplace tiles. In fact, I named my daughter Orla (not really after her but the fact that she is totally awesome designer certainly factored into the decision!)

7. Kate (@shoegirlinDE)Aug 1, 20136:19 am

It seems no matter where she goes, she will always make a stunning home. No wonder I love her designs so much! Thanks for sharing. Must pick up this issue of Dwell now…

8. JaimieAug 1, 201311:11 am

Photo 2 from the old house is the perfect shade of OD green. I’m having trouble finding it though, to see if they mention what brand/color it is. I want it for my office!

9. JodiAug 1, 20133:21 pm

oh, orla. <3 <3 <3

10. ColetteAug 2, 20132:41 pm

I’ve never heard of Orla before this post. I guess you learn something new each day :) I love her retro patterns and the choices of colors and shapes in each room. It really makes for a cozy and not so intimidating home.

I’m also loving your new layout, Anna!

xo

Thanks, Colette!

Orla is verrrry addictive, and her patterns are really distinctive. I bet you’ll start noticing her prints around now that you’re familiar with her stuff. :)

11. CharlotteAug 2, 20134:09 pm

Wow! Thanks so much for this post. I’ve never heard of Orla until today and I am currently fantasizing about moving into her house. So beautiful. Hope you are well. By the way, also wanted to let you know that I discovered Nuxe via your website and am now using their rose scented foaming face wash (and I am a person who usually doesn’t like anything scented, especially rose.) So thanks!

12. petal and plumeAug 3, 20133:29 pm

how incredibly fascinating to see inside her spaces! she’s a wonderfully creative genius.
    xx

13. JoAug 3, 20135:47 pm

I really love everything she produces. Just ordered a mint purse of hers on sale and I am very excited! I wish more of her furniture was available in the US! In general, I find that the UK has much more stylish furniture options (Heals, Habitat…swooonnn).

14. Alex - Hydrangea GirlAug 4, 20132:18 pm

Mmmm, yes and yes. Kiely got skills. So much of her stuff can be found here in Dublin. Her patterns are so beautifully simple, fresh and fun.

I thought those last few pictures looked familiar! I’m a H&H mag contributor ;)

xx A

15. Natalie.rAug 4, 20133:38 pm

Just WOWing…!!!

16. SimoneAug 5, 20135:49 am

The “things” in front of the TV are side tables. You can see and read more here: http://fashion.telegraph.co.uk/news-features/TMG8020570/The-world-of-Orla-Kiely-designer.html Did you get to visit her store while you were in Londen?
    Have a wonderful day! Simone

17. KelseyAug 5, 201311:15 am

I really love her work. Her home is absolutely gorgeous! Great lines and colors, I really love how she stays neutral throughout with bits of color to make the room cohesive. Just splendid. Great post!

18. HectorAug 5, 20132:21 pm

It looks absolutely fabulous! I love the kitchen and those stairs are so unique!

19. DervlaAug 19, 20137:53 pm

Great post. I’ve been a massive Orla fan for years. I love how her home isn’t too much “Orla” design. It can be a bit over whelming! Love all the mid-century furniture too.

20. Lora EasleyJan 14, 201412:23 am

Hi there! i found your blog googling to find more of this Orla Kiely wallpaper!!! My hanger hung it in the laundry room but miscalculated and I am short, and its up!! Any chance you have some left you’d like to sell?? I only need about 10 feet?? Thank you!!

Sorry, I don’t!