Yeah, I could live there.

doorsixteen_fragwoodall_01

Yeah, I could live there is an occasional D16 feature wherein I post pictures of homes I want to break into, kick out the inhabitants and move in. Today we’re barging in on a “Swedish summer cabin” that’s not in Sweden at all — it’s in Sydney, Australia, and it’s a 2-bedroom apartment belonging to designer Fräg Woodall. Woodall designed and renovated the apartment himself over the course of 9 months.

Let’s take a look around…

doorsixteen_fragwoodall_02

doorsixteen_fragwoodall_03

SOLD. I mean, not that it’s for sale, but I’m definitely ready to move in right now. That charred-looking black wood wall in the bathroom is so super gorgeous. I now need to find a wall — any wall — to cover with stained Baltic Russian pine paneling. Also, black bathroom fixtures! Why didn’t I do that??

And don’t even get me started on those glossy white-painted floors. Sigh.

Other than that they’re really nice, what do we know about the striped duvet cover and pillowcases?? Where are they from??

doorsixteen_fragwoodall_04

doorsixteen_fragwoodall_05

I wish I had an excuse to buy Pia Wallén’s FÄRGLAV bed linens from IKEA. They look so nice on this little pine bed. I love that credenza in the living room, too, also the work of Fräg Woodall.

doorsixteen_fragwoodall_06

Siiiiiiigh. So good. I especially like the shallow upper cabinets and shelves hanging from pegs in the kitchen. And those pendant lights?? Plus another black faucet. I love it all. I’m definitely moving in!

All photographs by Terence Chin, via Share Design
Interior design by Fräg Woodall
Thanks to D16 reader Holly for sharing this home with me!

1. SierraNov 8, 20139:01 am

Yes. I’ll take one of everything. Thanks.

2. jaclynNov 8, 20139:18 am

So good right?!

Thankfully, I found this on Apartment Therapy a few weeks ago and….I’m starting my bathroom reno in a few weeks so black fixtures it is!

The original article from AT was all about black bathroom fixtures:

Good grief, the comments on that post. Why do I never learn my lesson about reading comments?

3. MerissaNov 8, 201310:32 am

Love love love it!! Beautiful textures, graphic black & white, and I love all the wood.

Aren’t shallow upper cabinets pretty standard? I think they’re typically 12″ deep. Thanks for sharing!

Merissa, I meant the ones on the left side of the kitchen hanging from the pegs — they look like they’re about 6″ deep.

4. KellyNov 8, 201311:30 am

SO GOOD.
    That bathroom is my dream bathroom.
    All of it is pretty amazing.

5. RachelNov 8, 201311:48 am

Man, that door in the first photo. I cannot wait to own my own home so I can do stuff like that. I think my landlords would probably lose it if I did some change like that!

I just want someone to let me come and do all of this stuff to their apartment! You know, in all of my free time.

Jen /

Anna, I want to buy a vacation home in Newburgh and let you decorate it as you wish. Please and thank you. :)

6. tessNov 8, 201312:51 pm

this will probably be a dumb question but no need for a shower curtain? Is there a drain on the floor? how is water kept from getting everywhere and all over the pretty cabinets?

also, i need black fixtures in my life.

I’m sure these photos are staged minimally for the photos to show off the renovation and interior architecture more than the decoration. The shower curtain is probably just taking a breather out of view of the camera. :)

7. tessNov 8, 20131:33 pm

ah, i just don’t even see a good install location for the shower rod either. it’s pretty nonetheless.

8. maggieNov 8, 20131:54 pm

Oh my gosh, so dreamy. Sign me up!

9. kelly wNov 8, 20132:13 pm

I’m in love with those warm knotty wood walls against the white. Yum.

10. Purpose and FormNov 8, 20136:07 pm

I love this home!! Especially the Baltic Russian pine panelling and the black fixtures in the bathroom, they look so sharp against those white tiles. Thank you so much for sharing.

Chelsea

11. JoNov 8, 20136:41 pm

Oooooooo. The white subway tile all the way up to the ceiling in the tub/shower enclosure. Ooooo.

*squints at bathroom*

Do you suppose I could find somebody to come in and do something damaging to my bathroom so I can replace all the tile?

12. EvaNov 8, 20138:39 pm

Beautiful space! I can live there too:)

On an unrelated note, do you remember how long it took onefortythree to process your order for the light in your kitchen? My husband and I made an order in September, we emailed Logan few weeks ago and we haven’t had any response. I’m panicking because we already passed 45 days mark with Paypal and I really want the lamp. Thanks in advance.

13. MonicaNov 9, 20135:50 am

This is so gorgeous. “Why didn’t I do that?”, is a sentence that I use constantly. Sometimes I like to throw in a, “Oh, why did I do that?” just to mix it up. Especially in my kitchen. Sigh.

14. kim@dtiNov 9, 20138:25 am

SWEET JEEZUS!

15. AngelaNov 9, 20135:30 pm

Definitely moving in! Those black fixtures are the BEST. I never even considered the fact that they might also exist in black.

16. CarolynNov 10, 201310:57 am

Hi Anna, if the wood in the bathroom is charred, and it looks to me like it is, it is a Japanese technique called shou sugi ban. It is a centuries old technique that is done to preserve the wood. The level of char can be varied for different effects and if you want to read more, head over to Remodelista. I wish I had found the post 2 years ago when I was building and then staining my backyard fence black, but oh well, there’s always next time. Perhaps you and Evan can find a project at your house using the technique. It is however, labour intensive, like all good things.

p.s. love the kitchen floors and what a great idea! I may do it in my house to rid myself of the cheapest “oak” laminate known to man.

17. BarnabéNov 10, 20132:00 pm

What a fantastic place.
    I could live there too. ;)

18. Keren / The WalkupNov 10, 201310:17 pm

Is that a sliding barn door? Yes, please. However, I would clutter this place up in two shakes of a lamb’s tail.

19. AshNov 10, 201311:02 pm

Anna! I’m in love with that duvet cover too and did a little looking around. It looks similar to this one, from Australian brand Country Road: http://www.countryroad.com.au/shop/home/bed-and-bath/marek-king-quilt-cover-60148470

20. kikiNov 11, 201311:42 am

Hi Anna,
    I have followed your interest in tiling and have come to deeply appreciate the virtues of black grout. I’ve never entered a white-grouted tiled room where there hasn’t been the shading to gray or even black of white grout where it is close to the floor or exposed to water over time. But white tile and white grout looks beautiful in this photograph of the bathroom–a pristine jewel. Black grout would change the look entirely. I love the white grout here!

So it’s killing me that unless there is some not-humanly-possible ongoing intervention to keep white grout looking like this, it really is a visual fantasy…unless I’m wrong. Am I wrong?

The white grout in my bathroom is still bright white after nearly 5 years of use! Use a sealant, and wipe everything down with a chamois or terry cloth after you shower. 20 seconds of effort = no mildew, ever. :)

21. Erin LNov 17, 201312:47 pm

Someday, if I own my own place, I want plank walls like that. The charred wood walls in the bathroom are awesome as well.

22. emilyNov 22, 201312:36 am

ridiculously divine is this house. I think I’d just sleep straight on the floorboards they look so good ;-)

23. SallyNov 22, 20135:49 am

Such a gorgeous place! I don’t normally like lots of wood, but this is so light – love the simplicity with all the lovely details. And that bed linen! Sooo nice!