Bron / Broen: My obsession with The Bridge.

doorsixteen_bronbroen_thebridge1

The last time I blogged about a TV show was a year and a half ago, and that show was Breaking Bad. By the time the final episode BB aired, I (and seemingly every other human with a television) had become so emotionally invested in the series that it was a bit traumatizing to have it all come to an end. With the possible exception of The Sopranos, I had never felt that strongly about a TV drama before. I’ve half-heartedly tried to watch The Wire and Sons of Anarchy and House of Cards and so on, but I can never fully commit. (I did think Top of the Lake was excellent, but it wasn’t a multi-season show—it’s in a different category.)

There is now another show that has managed to suck me in and make me want to binge-watch 10 episodes in a row, though, and it’s the Scandinavian series The Bridge (Bron in Swedish, Broen in Danish). It’s SO GOOD. I keep telling everyone I know that they HAVE TO WATCH IT, OMG, but my power of persuasion isn’t working! I don’t know if it’s because they’re skeptical about being able to get into a foreign-language show with subtitles or the fact that they’re all too busy watching True Detective or because they just think I have bad taste, but no one is taking my word for it. Argh.

(For the sake of clarity, it’s worth mentioning that there is an American remake of The Bridge with the same name on the FX network, as well as a British/French version called The Tunnel. I’ve never seen either of those shows so I can’t compare them, but I can assure you that the original is perfection.)

doorsixteen_bronbroen_thebridge2

The title of the series refers to the Øresund Bridge, which crosses the Øresund strait between Copenhagen, Denmark and Malmö, Sweden. It’s on this bridge where the story begins, with a body that’s been found on the territorial line—with precisely one half in each country. The crime falls to both Swedish and Danish police jurisdictions, and homicide detectives Saga Norén (Sofia Helin) and Martin Rohde (Kim Bodnia) are assigned to the case.

doorsixteen_bronbroen_thebridge4

They are both very attractive, of course, but not in the way people are on American TV. Saga’s character in particular isn’t like anyone I’ve seen in a show before. Her hair is a mess, she’s got a big scar on her face, she looks tired, she wears the same outfit almost every day, and she seems as though she possibly has Asperger syndrome. Martin is slightly more polished (and his house is really beautiful—but I’ll direct you to this great post at Ouno Design for more about that), but he’s still quite rough around the edges and emotionally insecure to the point of being self-destructive. They’re quite a pair when you put them together! The entire supporting cast is great, too, down to the most minor characters. So much good acting—and so little over-acting, something that usually keeps me away from crime dramas.

The story line is completely gripping and totally unpredictable. It takes twists into politics, social problems, infidelity, parent-child relationships, race relations…and it all ties together perfectly somehow, with plot turns that are perfectly paced. We just watched the season one finale tonight, and the conclusion was satisfying. Season two takes Martin and Saga to a different crime entirely, and I’m not even going to read a synopsis before diving in.

If you’re in the US, you can watch the entire first season on Hulu for free right now. I’m not sure when the second season will be available here, but hopefully very soon because I need mooooooore!!

1. Cori MageeMar 12, 201410:19 pm

I read this entire post even though I’ve been watching it and didn’t need a summary…. It’s SO GOOD.

I’m always up for crime dramas, but American TV is so incredibly fake and overdone, this is a refreshingly awesome show. I love that it’s about the story and the characters, not outfits. Plus the cool homes don’t hurt.(Admittedly I did recently enjoy The Killing but really want to find the Danish version).

I’m glad to hear the season came together well, I’m halfway through so I have to finish it. I see a marathon coming this weekend….

2. kelly wMar 12, 201410:29 pm

Okay! You have persuaded me!

3. DAMar 12, 201411:10 pm

If you can’t access Hulu, try DailyMotion. It works in Australia.

4. suzyMar 12, 201411:26 pm

I loved this series too! I can’t wait for the second season. I’ve also enjoyed some other Danish dramas recently – The Killing and Borgen. Have you watched either of them? (slightly confusingly the same actors keep popping up throughout, so the bereaved removalist from one show becomes the Defence minister in another, and so on… but it is quite fun spotting who is who).

Not yet, Suzy, but they’re both on my list!

deb /

borgen is FANTASTC, i binge watched 3 seasons in 2 weeks….when you’re done with this and the killing, and you need another danish fix, perhaps you could try the film “a hijacking”; totally exhausting but really great.

5. AlisonMar 12, 201411:54 pm

I’m so glad you’ve discovered The Bridge! It’s amazing. I’ve seen both seasons and The Killing 1-3 and also the UK-French version – The Tunnel, as you’ve mentioned.That was good in it’s own right, but I prefer the original. As the others have said, watch The Killing as soon as you can. I loved Borgen, too, and the sets are even better on those series, showcasing so much beautiful Danish design.

6. IngvildMar 13, 20141:24 am

I looove Broen, especially season one. Forbrydelsen, or The Killing as you call it, is maybe even better. Danish tv-shows are extremely popular in Norway, where I live. We all watch them.

7. Lindsay BrownMar 13, 20141:38 am

Oh good; I’m no longer alone! Great, isn’t it? And thanks for the link to my post.

8. JemmaMar 13, 20142:21 am

Yes! Just finished Series 1 and can’t wait to watch the next. Saga is such an intriguing, odd character and I love the parts that show her trying to engage in ‘normal’ smalltalk, somewhat unsuccessfully. I also recommend The Killing and I saw the american version. It was still brilliant, although the original is meant to be best. One of my all time favourite series was Six Feet Under. Did you see it? It has a dark humour and great characters.

9. SandraMar 13, 20142:45 am

Best show ever! It’s amazing, great great actors!
    Living in Sweden, we’ve already had the season2, and while it’s good, it’s not as good as s1 I’m afraid. You get to know more about the characters tho. That Saga character….haha, Sofia plays her sooo well! =)

I actually had a hard time getting people to watch it here aswell…well, it’s their loss.

10. anekeMar 13, 20142:51 am

I just went and bought this from Amazon UK (all the way from South Africa) purely on your recommendation :)

11. Laura BowaterMar 13, 20144:21 am

I loved Series 1; it is one of the most well constructed dramas on TV. The characters are quirky but wonderfully real at the same time and it grabs you emotionally. I am lucky enough to have watched Series 2 and it is as good as the first, although devastating to watch. I will keep a look out for the Tunnel though.

12. CatherineMar 13, 20144:22 am

I agree, this show is awesome. I actually watched season 1 of the tunnel and season 2 of Broen – they follow the exact same storyline episode by episode. I found the characters in the tunnel a lot easier to warm to, but there’s something about watching it in a foreign language that is so soothing!

13. BeckaMar 13, 20144:26 am

Oh man, I can’t WAIT for you to watch the second season! This show is the actual best, I loved it and am hanging out for a third season. I totally agree, Saga is unlike anyone I’ve ever seen on TV before and I really loved watching her particular mix of strength and frailty unfold as we got to know her better.

14. AngelaMar 13, 20145:57 am

I also love Bron. So far I have only seen season 2 through a Swedish streaming service we subscribe to which was great! Thanks for the tip on where to watch season 1! Hopefully your post will encourage more people to watch.

Angela, don’t hold out on me! What’s this Swedish streaming service you speak of??

15. DanielMar 13, 20146:02 am

I think the original version of the Killing is even better than Bron. Although the first season of the Killing (or Brottet in swedish and Förbrydelsen in danish) is a bit stretched. Just too many episodes. But all in all, a great crime drama.
    The danes gets a lot of good press over here about their drama series. There is one, that’s called… “Den som dræber” that’s quite good aswell. If you want to be the first american to see it. Like the indie-choice of scandinavian crime dramas!

16. EmmaMar 13, 20149:04 am

This plus The Killing etc are really popular in the UK. I made the mistake of calling round to my parents when the Bridge was on and was told firmly I could come in but musn’t speak, handed me a glass of wine, then completely ignored!! Have you heard of the French drama The Returned? So good!

17. ArawaMar 13, 20149:39 am

I watched the American “The Bridge” first and just completed the watching the original version. They did a good job interpreting the original into the American version which uses a bridge between Mexico and Texas. It is interesting how they have adapted the storyline as well as the character of Sonia (Saga). Diane Kruger does an excellent job. I look forward to watching the second season of both versions.

js /

I’ve seen the first season of the American Bridge also and enjoyed it, but it’s taking forever to see the 2nd season. I think I’ll go watch Bron!

18. SierraMar 13, 201410:12 am

It’s like you heard me asking the universe to please create something interesting to watch. Like you, I tried to get into Sons of Anarchy, The Wire, and even Blacklist, but nothing clicked. (I never got into Breaking Bad either, much to my boyfriend’s dismay.) My favorite show, Sherlock, only releases three episodes a year and season two of The Following has been a bust, so yeah, I’ve been in need of a new crime drama.

You loved Top of the Lake, so clearly you have amazing taste. ;) Thanks for the recommendation! I can’t wait to start watching!

19. mariaMar 13, 201410:30 am

It sounds too interesting to pass. The only danish series I’ve seen is “Borgen”, which I really liked. The caracters are interesting and the politics and lifestyle are so different to what I’m used to here in Greece. I found the plot pretty interesting, though my boyfriend insists on saying that the whole thing looks like the “smurfs” edition of a “house of cards” universe. Either way you should watch it if only for the design of the spaces. I mean I have caught myself not reading the subtitles because I was just mesmerized by the prime minister’s office.

I would also have to tell you about the series I can persuade noone to see. It’s called “black mirror”. It’s a BBC production. 2 seasons of 3 episodes each. The episodes are 45minutes long and all have a different theme, different caracters, they’re like mini movies. The whole thing is about dystopian futures, some of which seem disturbingly close. It is very well written and touches very interesting subjects. For that I would suggest watching it with someone else, as you will more likely end up discussing it all night.

20. susanMar 13, 201410:55 am

You’ve convinced me. I’ve added it to my queue and will start watching it tonight! I’m always up for interesting movies and tv shows, especially from other countries. I have never had a problem with subtitles. I prefer subtitles to dubbing, that’s for sure.

21. NezaMar 13, 201411:19 am

Oh boy, this just reminded me of danish The kingdom, I watched it yeeeears ago and liked it so much. Must see it again. Anyone watched that?
    More about it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Kingdom_%28TV_miniseries%29

Yes, The Kingdom was amazing!!

22. gracieMar 13, 20142:07 pm

Hi Anna, definitely going to watch this now. I thoroughly recommend The Killing (the original) like everyone above. I know you will love it for the reasons you describe loving The Bridge. The way the actors are captivating to look at in a real way, not that boring American TV good looking version of people, how beautifully sketched their characters are, habits/home/clothes etc. and we’re not even on to the storyline yet! Utterly engrossing.

23. MinaMar 13, 20142:25 pm

Being Danish and all maybe I should start watching some of these mentioned here… :)

24. LaylaMar 13, 20146:35 pm

I’ve been looking for a new show to start, and you make this one sound great. I’ve seen the Killing remake, and I thought they did a decent job at not overly prettifying the main characters (although of course I think Mireille Enos is stunning in it).

Oh man, do you know unblock-us.com? It’s a $5/month service that lets you toggle between all the different country Netflixes, so it’ll give you access to the Netflix of all the Scandinavian countries. It’s pretty great, and I felt like I had to inform you. Lots of good subtitled stuff!

25. Flor | Nordic DaysMar 13, 20147:21 pm

I assure you, season 2 is even better than season 1 :) My boyfriend and I binge watched it, it was so incredibly well balanced and REALLY thrilling! :)

26. Sigur MozMar 13, 20149:12 pm

Broen is top notch… Another Scandinavian gem is “Akta manniskor”.
    Also a french show “Les Revenants” (Mogwai provides soundtrack).

27. AnnMar 13, 201410:34 pm

I will watch this! It’s kismet actually, as just last night I watched Love is All You Need (terrible title) and enjoyed Kim Bodnia’s performance. You might like it… gorgeous scenery, both Denmark and Italy.

28. mommyMar 13, 201411:26 pm

I’m glad you recommended it to us, Anna. We’ve watched all episodes from season I already.

Oh, did you? I was wondering! Glad you liked it!!

29. SiobhanMar 14, 20145:59 am

We have started watching The Wire in the last couple of months after years of hearing how great it is. So I am glad to hear you say you weren’t able to get into it. I keep falling asleep during each episode! It’s certainly isn’t a series that binge-watch worthy. But I think recent TV series like Breaking Bad have developed plots and characters that are more fast-paced and complex that a series from 10 years ago comes across antiquated. I remember watching Terminator a couple of years ago and wondering how on Earth I was so taken with it’s futurism when it first came out – it was so dated and appeared so very fake.

30. SimoneMar 14, 20147:04 am

I loved the Bridge. It took me a few episodes to get into it though. In the beginning it was very very stark and bleak. I am positive that she has Aspergers (I think it was mentioned in an interview). Nice to have some male nudity for a change as well.
    The Killing: YES!!! (can’t believe there will not be a next series), Borgen: YES!!! (so clever and it makes me laugh now when I see politicians on TV that is a welcome change). And the women are very real and very sexy in a non-hollywood kind of way.
    I can recommend Wallander with Kenneth Branagh. Has a scandanavian feeling to it as well (no male nudity though, just kidding). It is more meditative than the Bridge, but beautiful, like a form of abstract art http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1178618/?ref_=nm_flmg_act_4.
    Enjoy yourself (with popcorn I guess?)

31. Abel FernandezMar 14, 20147:47 am

The second season is available on Daily Motion. We stream it through our Ipad to our tv. The downside of watching this series is the poor translation into English especially in the second season where subtitles often don’t appear at all. Some suggest not using Firefox or Chrome to stream it and that the subtitles magically appear in Explorer. I agree it is an awfully good show and well worth watching. BTW, the scar on Sofia Helin’s face is from a bike riding accident that took place about 20 years ago. She does play an interesting character, one with Asperger’s no doubt. I will say that a second Scandinavian series is Borgen — a terrific show that should be more widely distributed here. The first two seasons can be watched on LinkTV.

Ann /

Abel thanks for the info I just tried watching in Chrome and so many subtitles were missing I gave up!
    I will try it in Explorer.

32. Jenny A.Mar 14, 20149:44 am

At your recommendation, we watched the first episode last night and I am completely sucked in! We have trouble finding episodic television that’s worth our time and end-up watching lots of documentaries and cooking shows instead. I do like a good series, though. It’s a nice way to end the day but they’re so hard to find!

Simone /

Hi Jenny; Sherlock by the BBC is very good, The Line of Duty (BBC) is really really great as well. Great as in Smart. LoD we are watching the second series at the moment. The series are pretty short but it is absolutely amazing, both of them. Enjoy!

33. JulesMar 14, 201412:00 pm

Netflix has been terrible for my appreciation of American TV, which was already hovering at an all-time low. The appearance of the actors on shows outside the US is so damn compelling and refreshing. I love the scars, the wrinkles, the appearance of life lived, especially in the crime dramas. American TV actors look like Dorian Gray in comparison.

Speaking of crime dramas, have you watched Luther yet? Also good, also disappointingly short.

34. cECIMar 14, 20143:26 pm

HMZ Networks – I’m in the DC area & watch the International Mysteries all the time. Commissario Montalbano (Italian) & Anno 1776 (Swedish?) are my favorites. I like Broen, too.

Ceci /

Oops! Anno 1790…

35. GillianneMar 14, 20143:53 pm

In the Champlain Valley, we get MHz, which shows international drama and mystery series–French, Italian, Norwegian, Danish, German, and of course, Swedish. Highly recommend the Martin Beck series, the original Swedish Wallanders (the Branagh ones are good, but I think the Swedish series is better), Arne Dahl (the team members’ relationships are woven into the story lines beautifully), Those in Power, and a brilliant historical one called Anno 1790, which was cancelled after a single season because it wasn’t attracting the desired demographic and cost too much. Now I’ll have to try The Bridge. And alternate it with Weeds and season 6 of Mad Men. :)

36. CarolineMar 15, 20141:33 am

Ok, I’ve been writing this during the commercials on Hulu as I devour The Bridge. Why do I always watch/or read the really good stuff so fast??? Thank you for pointing me in the direction of more Swedish goodness!

First I read Stieg Larsson’s Millennium Trilogy, then I watched the (Swedish) Trilogy movies. Both the books and the movies are among my lifetime favorites, in spite of the many hideous parts. Between Stieg Larsson and Benita Larsson, I really wanted to see more of Sweden! I searched for Yellow Bird Productions, and watched Wallander (which was good, but he’s rather morose)and Annika Bengtzon: Crime Reporter (wish there had been more episodes!). I recently watched the Inspector and the Sea, (which is set on the island of Gotland) on PBS.

Since you liked Breaking Bad, my husband would tell you to watch Lilyhammer.

I also enjoyed Spiral (known as Engrenages in France), and MI-5.

While these series are quite different from the above, as they all take place during WWII and/or post war, and focus on women, I enjoyed them very much…The Bletchley Circle (crime solving), Land Girls, Bomb Girls, and Call the Midwife.

I recently watched Barbara (German movie), and I felt like I learned a bit about what life in East Germany might have been like.

Thank you so much! I hope you can find at least one new show you will enjoy out of my favs above!

BTW I check your blog way too often for eye candy, so I thank you for that as well (and I include your selfies in that category).

37. You will not be disappointed with season 2! Just finished watching it here (UK) a few weeks ago. Both characters are amazing and there are some pretty unexpected twists as you’ve come to expect.

Every time the title sequence comes on I always say to my husband how much I want to go back and maybe we should move there! Love the music.

We need more Scandi drama!

38. GillianneMar 15, 201410:14 am

Caroline: Ditto down the line.

More links for Scandinavian drama and crime series: http://www.couchslobs.com/2013/03/21/where-to-watch-scandinavian-shows-online/

Yes, the Annika Bengtzon series is good, as is the Irene Huss series. I appreciate that the contemporary Scandinavian series feature people who look “real,” not photo-shopped and blow-dried, even particularly attractive ones. That was one difference between the Swedish and US Millennium films. “The Spider,” a Danish offering, is wrapping up on MHz, but “Crimes of Passion,” a post-WWII period piece with lots of local color but not the taut suspense of most Swedish mysteries, is still on. It’s pretty and sweetly pleasant rather than gripping.

39. QurratulainMar 15, 20143:24 pm

If you liked The Bridge, you will LOVE The Killing (Forbrydelsen) which is Danish, and my god it is brilliant. Check it out, it is by far the best series I have watched!

Also I just discovered your blog whilst searching for reviews on the Foreo Luna device, and your review was brilliant. You’ve now saved me a lot of money! So thanks for your honest review, I’m now going to read through the rest of your posts!

40. Anna!Mar 16, 20141:14 pm

I am so glad you mentioned this was on Hulu. When the American version came out, I wanted to watch it after reading good reviews but I don’t have cable anymore. The reviews also mentioned how great the original was, but I hadn’t realized it was so easy to find! I will have it up on my big screen using my little Chromecast in no time!

41. KaraMar 16, 20148:28 pm

Just watched the first 10 minutes… can’t wait until I have time to binge out on the full season. Lovely to hear the Swedish, and it sucked me right in! Tack så mycket!

42. PaulaMar 16, 20149:06 pm

These two Danish series are also wonderful – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Eagle_(TV_series); as is Unit One – http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rejseholdet – we saw them here in Oz on our multicultural tv station, but they’re definitely available on DVD and maybe on Netflix or whatever ….

43. KelMar 18, 20144:33 am

I might be just repeating what other commenters have said, but YESSSS! It is fantastic, and though I prefer a bit more sunshine in my life, I’m pretty sure I could live happily ever after in Martin’s house.

44. FlorianMar 19, 20149:10 am

Such a coincident! I watched the first series when it came out and loved it so much. I had no clue, they were going to continue it, since it seemed substantially complete at the end.

Last sunday night they started broadcasting the second series on ZDF (Zweites Deutsches Fernsehen = Second German Televison). The ZDF is also a producer of the show alongside the Danish and Swedish producers. Although it beats me why, since there is no German storyline. Perhaps it’s because the German market just gobbles up Scandinavian crime stories.

I find it quite puzzeling, why such violent and gruesome crime fiction is produced in Scandinavia, which has quite a low murder rate. If people were killing each other at the rate suggested in the fictitious material, the northern countries would find their populations severely depleted.

45. PhoebeMar 19, 20141:52 pm

Omg, the episode when Martin got kicked in the junk, I thought I was going to puke.

46. alanaMar 19, 20146:24 pm

Ok, your powers of persuasion worked on me, i just watched the first episode – it’s excellent! Thank you for proselityzing.

Cheers,
    Alana

47. julieMar 19, 20148:08 pm

I’m kinda sad that I’ve already watched the American version because you make this one sound so much better! I made myself watch the whole first season even though I didn’t like it that much. I know Sonia has Asperger’s but I just didn’t like her character even though I loved the Mexican detective. The plot sounds pretty much identical with the body split in half on the bridge. I might have to give this version a try. I usually love foreign films.

48. SzidiMar 24, 20141:43 am

Hi Anna! I’ve been reading your blog for years now. I especially like your post about your beautiful house. When I read this post about a Danish-Swedish series, I was sceptical at first, but I checked it out anyway. I’m done with season 1 now :D I couldn’t stop watching it.
    Thanks for recommending it!

49. Herb StoneMar 25, 201412:06 pm

Hi: I just finished watching Season 1 of The Bridge. It was recommended to me by my daughter-in-law, who knows I like foreign tv shows. I thought it was great and it was the first time I had used hulu plus. The only thing I found frustrating was all of the commercials. I have gotten spoiled by HBO and Showtime. It was as good as Top of the Lake and I thought stronger than Engrenages-a French series. The Fall is also a good 5 part series available on netflix.

50. Lisa CMar 27, 201412:41 am

Thanks for the recommendation. A couple years ago we visited Copenhagen. During our visit we took a train across that bridge to spend the day in Malmo. It’s nice in the midst of the drama to see the sights again while the memories are still clear. When I’m done, I’ve seen a few more shows to watch next thanks to all the comments!

51. oh hollandMar 27, 20143:45 pm

Based on Anna’s post, I just completed series 1 of Bron|Broen. The engaging storyline will haunt me for LIFE. The desolate landscape of this part of Scandinavia parallels the bleak scenery of Wallander. The characters’ blend of grit, quirk, fallibility and nobility is utterly real.

A recommendation of my own: The Bletchley Circle. Series 2 will be on PBS stations later this year. The three-part series 1 is widely available now.

I’ll return to these comments for more smart recommendations, while waiting for B|B 2.

52. GGMar 31, 20142:22 pm

So… I decided to try this series over the weekend on a whim. Oh. My. Lord! I didn’t/couldn’t stop until I was finished!! I loved everything about it and now I am obsessed with pretending I’m Saga Noren and overall just simply cannot wait for season 2. Thank you for the rec!!!

53. OlgaApr 16, 20143:09 pm

My new favorite series!!!!
    Here you can the season 2!

JJC /

Alas, Daily Motion has removed all of Abuabdou Mohammed’s videos. I searched for Bron Broen and no episodes are available on the site.

Season two is also on Hulu now! :)

54. JuanApr 22, 20147:29 pm

FYI, season 2 of The Bridge is now available on Hulu!

As for other Scandinavian dramas, my current favorite is the Swedish series Real Humans (a.k.a Äkta människor) which recently wrapped up its second season.

It’s a sci-fi series set in a parallell present-day Sweden.
    Basically, it’s a suburban family drama with lots of great characters and great portion of (often dark) humor, mixed with the grittiness and philosophical discussions of stuff like Blade Runner or the re-imagined Battlestar Galactica series.
    It’s the Sweden of today sprinkled with the robots of the future. ;)

The show has been sold to over 50 countries so far, but the only English-speaking country that has aired it so far is Australia, as far as I know. There’s an Australian season 1 DVD out there with English subtitles.
    Arrow Films in the UK has been plugging the show sine it first came out in Sweden, and they do have the UK DVD rights to the series, but i believe their release (as well as any British TV broadcasts) has been delayed due to a British remake that’s in the works by Channel 4.
    Apparently, the remake will be called simply Humans and Channel 4 will be co-producing the show with the folks at Microsoft in the US, with the intention of making it the first “original” series on the upcoming Xbox streaming service.

55. Jennifer MillsJun 9, 20145:30 pm

I was also totally obsessed with this show. I would have to say it is one of the best series I have EVER seen. The ending of Season 2 had me in shock for about 10 minutes. I just wish it was easier to find these critically acclaimed foreign series in the U.S. I read recently that you can rig your dvd to play foreign discs…I may have to look into that :) Feel free to share any other great discoveries you find!

56. The Wizard of OunceJun 13, 20142:31 am

Wouldn’t say that I was anywhere near ‘obsessed’ with ‘The Bridge’ but it’s certainly terrific world-class drama. Loved series 2 but can’t see how series 3 can be made without the character of Martin Rohde in a major contribution. Living in Australia, we are fortunate to see the best of the European and Scandinavian productions; the only problem being that we don’t get enough of such programming. I recently had to resort to off-region downloads to view the excellent Belgium drama, ‘Salamander’. As for American remakes, I don’t ever bother with them due to content-Producers from that country often watering-down the very aspects which made the original strikingly and uniquely entertaining. Personally, I find the need to remake a non-English language programme to be xenophobia in the extreme. Even a ‘dubbed’ version of the original would be more palatable than a U.S. remake.

57. KathiJun 20, 20143:02 pm

I am in CA and just finished season 1 of US The Bridge. I watched the original last year but I am having a hard time finding Season 2 . FX will start season 2 here on June 24th and I really want to watch original before US version comes out! My favorite shows:
    Sherlock, True Detective, Fargo (just finished the series- Billy Bob Thornton was tremendous) The Killing (both versions) Love/Hate, Breaking Bad, Dexter (except the finale), Six Feet Under, The Shield, Wallander, Rescue Me, Ray Donovan, Homeland, Penny Dreadful, Shameless (both versions), The Sopranos.
    I’m going to start watching Borgen.
    Please let me know if anyone knows where I can watch Broen Season 2!
    Thanks!
    Kathi

58. GregJun 20, 201411:51 pm

Like other, I have found the Bron/Broen series so gripping, this past Jan 2014, I booked a 2 week trip from New York to visit the bridge and the sights. I am posting this to illustrate some of the residual benefits of keeping the series going… Tourism

59. VR SureshJul 12, 20143:59 am

I watched and enjoyed the American “The Killing” last year. Liked it so I decided to download the Danish version “Forbydelsen” and watched all three seasons. Then, watched the first season of “The bridge” and have started the second season. I liked the American killing in its own way but liked Forbydelsen even better. But I think (of course, this is from the limited watching mentioned above) the Scandinavians are good storytellers but not good storywriters. The way the shows have been taken, the acting, the characters are all great but the story plots are not believable. A cold-blooded killer turns to family life and allows a racist killer to become close to his family and NEVER sees the danger to his family. A mayoral candidate, his sexy advisor and old friend all hiding things from each other. A young girl on the verge of eloping with a South Asian friend, caught, raped and killed in a brutal manner by a “family friend”. Twenty episodes of this. Second season: political intrigue in the army base and in the parliament, Afghanistan maneuvers, civilian killings. Thankfully, ten episodes of this. Third season was probably the worst: sailors, prosecutor, ME murdered, rich shipping tycoon’s daughter kidnapped, old murder botched and covered up, an angry father moving behind the scenes, and again national politics, and some fellow who could have been a lamp post suddenly turns up as the killer. Ten episodes of this. Sarah Lund was the most vulnerable in this last one and I felt bad to see her fly away on exile. Maybe this can be an opening for a comeback (like Holmes). The Bridge (S01): a truth terrorist who commits a whole bunch of unrelated socially relevant crimes to prove that society made him lose his son and everything else so he finally takes revenge on this one policeman. Worse story than Poirot’s red herrings and blaming everybody until the criminal acts out of angry frustration to showcase his deeds. Season 2 is proving to be yet another pot of red herrings with the ship and the plague and the angry student and ecoterrorism. For those who would like to watch a good show without worrying about the nation of origin, try “The Shield.” Good show. Any other recommendations from people out there?

60. JulieJul 20, 20145:57 am

It is quite funny yo read your posts and all the comments on the danish tv series – while being a dane :-)
    Especially the comment about Borgen being a mini – house of cards, or schmurfs.
    What is especially funny about Borgen – seen grom a danish perspective is, that the author actually wrote some events into the serie, which actually happened afterwards, as for example Denmark choosing a woman as our prime minister…

But also after reading all these good words about Broen, I kind of feel embarrassed that I haven’t seen it… Normally I actually prefers american tv series, more than danish :-)

61. MUGGS45Jul 22, 20149:51 pm

I concur to the Nth degree…. I watched the TUNNEL first… just happened on it…. Then the American BRIDGE…
    Pretty good and gritty…. Then I stepped into the First season of BRON-BROEN…. Binge watched all episodes…
    The first season of the American Bridge was verbatim of the Danish Bridge…. I just finished season 2 of BRON-BROEN…. ended being another marathon viewing session….. It didn’t fail…. I don’t know if they went to a season 3 …. however I am searching for it… It is “WICKED PISSA !”….

Hi there! Season 3 of Bron/Broen won’t air until September 2015. You can stop searching! ;)

62. sharonSep 19, 20148:26 pm

The Canadian Netflix only has season 1. I am dying to see season 2. Any suggestions for a Canadian?

Monika /

You can switch the Netflix you watch; we are in Canada too, and do it every time we want to watch something not on the Netflix into which we are tuned (you can find instructions on the internet). I forget which Netflix has season 2 of the Bridge (I pre-ordered it from Amazon.co.uk), but I’ve definitely seen it around… maybe the UK Netflix, or one of the Scandi ones. We watch French, German and others as well.

Anna, since everyone has already gone on about Borgen, The Killing, and even Lilyhammer, I will recommend a movie — Troubled Waters. It’s Norwegian, and it’s brilliant. This will help a bit with the Scandi-fix until season 3 of the Bridge comes out. (well, a bit)

These days, I am watching The Bletchley Circle, and am waiting for season 2 of The Falls (only 5 episodes in season 1!) and Season 3 of Lilyhammer.

Apart from all of that, I highly recommend Homicide: Life on the Street. Andre Braugher makes the hairs on my spine stand up — he is BRILLIANT. This show broke ground on so many techniques now common in tv and in some of the shows here — most directly, the Wire, but so many more besides. For example, its use of music and certain camera techniques. It is really worth revisiting.

And finally, Friday Night Lights. No, it’s not an eery Scandi murder mystery or political show, but it has a raw naturalism that I haven’t seen anywhere else. The hand-held camera, letting actors interpret their characters without the use of a prescriptive script. So beautiful, so richly textured. (and Taylor Kitsch is mighty fine ;-) )

63. JackOct 13, 20148:45 am

Hulu had the whole second season on too, but then was forced to take it off. I was lucky enough to catch it all before it was yanked. I look forward to season three.

shana /

do you know why they had to take it off??
    is it coming back on?? i just binge watched season 1 and i’m jonesing for season 2!!!