I Want This + Inspiring Interiors

Macramé headboards.

Macrame Headboards - doorsixteen.com

Earlier today I was looking back on some of my favorite Dwell home tours, and I came across this dreamy-perfect house (which probably deserves its own Yeah, I Could Live There post)—and I could not stop looking at the macramé headboard made by Sally England.

Apparently macrame headboards are a thing that people do? And now I want one, so I guess I’m in the market for a gigantic macramé wall hanging. I wish I had the skills to make one myself, but tying my shoes is about as much as I’m capable of. I did just discover the work of Annalea Hart, a macramé artist who lives here in Albuquerque and who offers classes, though, so…maybe someday. In the meantime, here are a bunch of macramé headboards to get me inspired to hunt for my own.

Macrame Headboards - doorsixteen.com
Macramé by Natasha Ball for Retro Den

Macrame Headboards - doorsixteen.com
Macramé by Sally England for Ace Hotel Portland (left) and Julia Chaplin’s home (right)

Macrame Headboards - doorsixteen.com
Vera Macrame Headboard, Urban Outfitters

Macrame Headboards - doorsixteen.com
Macramé by Warp & Weft / Charlene Spiteri

Macrame Headboards - doorsixteen.com
Macramé by Rahran Design

Macrame Headboards - doorsixteen.com
Macramé by Kay Lonergan for Eco Chic

Previous Post Next Post

Other Stuff You Might Be Into

17 Comments

• Reply Heather April 11, 2017 at 8:39 am

Yes! Another post already? Love it.

That huge one on the black wall is amazing I have seen so many macrame wall hangings (they have been hugely popular in baby nurseries in the last 12 months), but never as a headboard! This looks so good.

• Reply Anna @ D16 April 11, 2017 at 8:55 am

Right? I don’t know why it never occurred to me to use one as a headboard. I’ve always been pretty headboard-averse, though, for reasons I can’t explain.

And yeah, I’m trying to post as much as possible so I’ll burn out really fast and go back into hiding!

• Reply gardenbre April 11, 2017 at 10:49 am

I had a headboard once … hmmm … the Natasha Ball one I like … could see organizing the puffy parts so they’re strategically placed to lean against …

• Reply Jackie Luskey April 11, 2017 at 11:07 am

So good to see your posts in my feed again! I also am considering a macrame class…maybe it’s like making a grown up friendship bracelet?

• Reply lisaane April 11, 2017 at 4:44 pm

I imagined what kind of macramé hanging you’d make and I found this

I also think it’d be cool to make one and drag it behind an old truck for several days…
    let it get tattered and torn

• Reply Priscilla April 11, 2017 at 5:00 pm

Not as lovely but Urban Outfitters has some on their site.

• Reply Priscilla April 11, 2017 at 5:53 pm

oops, just saw that you included one.

• Reply Leticia April 12, 2017 at 2:05 am

I like macrame, but it’s one of those things I look at and think: “How is that going to look a year from now?”

In my head, they all look yellowed and dusty. How does one clean those things? Slip the loops into a string, tie it off and throw in the washing machine? From the experience I have with crochet done in unbleached cotton, I imagine that the knots would come out looking a lot different, tighter and less clear. Besides the fraying on the open ends.

Does anyone have experience with that?

• Reply Anna @ D16 April 12, 2017 at 1:46 pm

Hmmm, I have a number of smaller macramé pieces, and they don’t look any different now than when they were new! I don’t think cotton turns yellow unless you do something like use bleach on it? As for cleaning, lightly vacuuming or shaking it outside should be fine. I can’t think of why you’d need to wash it—just treat it as you would any other fiber arts/textile wall hanging. Fraying shouldn’t be an issue if it’s just hanging on the wall, either. I guess if you really need it to be washed, you could take it to a professional as you would with a rug.

• Reply MaryMargaret April 12, 2017 at 8:50 am

Macrame always makes me think of 1970s woven owls perched on a stick, but I love these and love the headboard idea!

• Reply Jane April 12, 2017 at 3:34 pm

Sarah Sherman Samuel did a DIY textile headboard-type piece recently – http://sarahshermansamuel.com/diy-woven-wall-hanging/

Looked pretty easy to do – basically you’re adding the tassels. You could adapt this to a rectangular rug and try output before splurging on a full-on piece of textile art…

• Reply Jane April 12, 2017 at 3:34 pm

*try out (duh!)

• Reply Deborah April 17, 2017 at 5:56 pm

• Reply Anna @ D16 April 17, 2017 at 5:58 pm

Hi Deborah, several of the pieces in my post are by Sally England, and the credits all link to her site. Did you mean to share something else?

• Reply Deborah April 17, 2017 at 5:59 pm

sorry, didn’t realize it was the same source. I’ve been following her for a while.

• Reply Anna @ D16 April 17, 2017 at 6:01 pm

Yes—in fact, it was Sally England I wrote about in the first paragraph as having inspired the post. 😉

• Reply Deborah April 17, 2017 at 5:58 pm