Art + Design + I Want This + Life + Health

BREAKING: A good-looking pill organizer does exist!

Port and Polish pill organizer - doorsixteen.com

I’ve been spending WAY too much time lately looking for a well-designed pill organizer. My search history contains embarrassing terms like, “DWR pill organizer,” “Danish pill organizer,” “cutest pill organizer,” and, out of desperation, “non-ugly pill organizer.” And yes, I’ve also tried using “pillbox,” “pill box,” and even “daily medicine caddy” as alternate search terms. Nada.

I currently own two pill organizers: this one from Muji, and this one, available in pretty much every drugstore everywhere. They both suck. The hinges are worn out, they look sad, they’re too long to pack in a small toiletry pouch, and the Muji one doesn’t even have the days of the week on it. Argh!

THERE HAS TO BE A BETTER WAY, I thought. So I started searching. And searching. And I came up with nothing that even came close to meeting my requirements.

But then, as is often the case, something magical happened on the internet! Becca replied to my woeful tweet asking if I’d heard of a company called Port and Polish. I saw her reply at around 6AM this morning, and I admit I kind of rolled my eyes (which were barely even open) before I clicked, figuring it would be something hideous, because I thought I’d seen all there is to see in the world of pill organizers.

Folks, I was wrong. I was so wrong.Port and Polish pill organizer - doorsixteen.com

Port and Polish pill organizer - doorsixteen.com

Port and Polish pill organizer - doorsixteen.com

YES, YES, YES, YES, YES. That is what I’m talking about.

Let’s talk about a few things here: First of all, the size of the Port and Polish cases is just right. They’re roughy the same dimensions as an iPhone, only a little bit thicker. I don’t know why so many pill organizers are long and skinny, because this wider/flatter shape makes SO much more sense when it comes to travel and packing. Also, there’s a mirror in the case! So if you’re not sure where your mouth is, now you’ll be able to easily locate it when it’s time to take your medicine. Or, you know, just use it as a handy mirror that’ll always be in your bag along with with your B12 vitamins and your flax oil capsules. You know what gets me the most excited, though? THE LIDS ON THE INDIVIDUAL COMPARTMENTS ARE REMOVABLE. This means you can set the start date for the week on any day you’d like. So if you’re a Stendig-owning American who’s trained yourself to see calendar weeks as beginning on Monday because the rest of the world understand that that makes a helluva lot more sense than starting the week on Sunday (which is part of the weekEND, duh) like on our stupid calendars, you’re all set. Or if you forget to load up your pill box until Tuesday, you don’t need to have an empty day at the beginning. Or snap them in all out of order and use it as a daily brain teaser.

Now, it’s only been a couple of hours since I laid eyes on these beauties from Port and Polish, so of course I don’t yet own one (and thus can’t actually give you an in-use review), but based on looks alone? THEY ARE PERFECT. They are exactly what I was looking for, and as soon as I decide on a color, I’m going to order one. (You can also order a set of three for a discounted price if you need multiples—or if you want to give one to a buddy or whatever.) I’ll check back in and let you know how I like it once I’ve been using it for a while.

p.s. Port and Polish definitely have the cutest Instagram account of any pill organizer manufacturer. I’m 100% certain of this.

Previous Post Next Post

Other Stuff You Might Be Into

39 Comments

• Reply Julie May 25, 2017 at 9:48 am

OMG, Anna! This is the thing I never knew I needed- I’m going out of town tomorrow and now I’m mad I don’t own this yet!
    I love that your style really touches every detail of your life. As I get older, my minimalistic taste is becoming more refined, and I find myself less likely to purchase something if it’s not well designed and aesthetically pleasing, even for small ticket items. I think my big-box store, bigger-and-better, brand-name family thinks I’m either crazy, or a super-picky brat. But I am much happier for it, and it’s such a good feeling when you’ve been searching for a specific item and you finally find one you like instead of settling!

That being said, any suggestions for a cute contact lens case?!

• Reply Ghenette May 25, 2017 at 10:24 am

I have raged about ugly pill organizers for so long! Thank you for this. I’ve just ordered two.

• Reply lisaane May 25, 2017 at 10:36 am

I thought the mirror was for us old school folks who crush our “meds” for nasal inhalation…
    just kidding

• Reply Anna @ D16 May 25, 2017 at 10:38 am

HAHAHAHA. I’m way too much of an innocent to have even thought of that. HAHA.

• Reply gardenbre May 25, 2017 at 10:51 am

oh so – I may need to migrate my weekend pill popping protocol away from zip-lock snack baggies – very interesting – haha

• Reply Erin May 25, 2017 at 11:30 am

oh my gahhhhhdddd I’ve been on the same hunt for months now! (my final, most desperate search was for “vintage brass small tackle box”, haha). ordering now! thanks so much for sharing!!

• Reply Laura May 25, 2017 at 12:18 pm

I ordered it! Navy blue for me.

• Reply Kit May 25, 2017 at 12:37 pm

I also have tried every search term out there (and just straight up looked at every single pillbox on Etsy), so this post is a dream come true for me! I ordered a pink one and I am stoked even after the $15 shipping (to Canada – CAD$40 in total, egads!).

• Reply Katrina May 25, 2017 at 1:35 pm

“So if you’re not sure where your mouth is, now you’ll be able to easily locate it when it’s time to take your medicine”
    Straight up laughed out loud.

• Reply Kelsey May 25, 2017 at 1:50 pm

i’ve never been this excited about a pill case in my entire life! x_x

• Reply Sarah May 25, 2017 at 1:55 pm

These are beautiful, although I’m curious how they didn’t come up in any of your searches! Sounds like they could do with some SEO tweaks 🙂 I love that blush pink one tho, and the removable days are such a clever function!

• Reply Anna @ D16 May 25, 2017 at 1:56 pm

I think they’ve only been around for a few months!

• Reply Kathleen May 25, 2017 at 3:17 pm

Another great option is nokabox (www.nokabox.co), which also just launched! It has sliding magnetic compartments and a fabric wraparound case. The cork one is my favorite 🙂

• Reply Anna @ D16 May 25, 2017 at 3:23 pm

Cool! They’re too fussy/fiddly/fancy/overdone for me, but I’m glad there are folks out there thinking about this stuff.

• Reply erica May 25, 2017 at 6:41 pm

YES! Just ordered one and am so excited I have to go sit in front of my (white) Vornado fan to cool off. Thanks for being my product guru XOXO

• Reply Tabitha May 25, 2017 at 7:38 pm

Wow Anna thank you so much! I have a couple of friends who need to take daily meds and this will brighten their days!!

• Reply Bonnie May 25, 2017 at 10:24 pm

Yes! I was looking for one earlier this year and was so frustrated by the options. My search history probably looked a bit like yours 🙂 Thank you!!!

• Reply M Nielsen May 25, 2017 at 11:34 pm

Anna, Thank you for posting about this. I have the ugly drug store variety that I keep out on my kitchen counter to help remind me to take my pills each and every day. I have a medical condition which requires that I take 4 pills a day, every day, without fail, for the last 15+ years. When I was first diagnosed with epilepsy I was really bummed out and depressed. I also found it really challenging to remember to take the pills, and then super stressful to realize that I forgot one. My sweet husband purchased really cute little leather pill box from Coach as a surprise for me. It was one of the most thoughtful gifts he has every given me, and I keep it in my bag so that I always have an extra set of pills on hand wherever I go.

• Reply Donna May 26, 2017 at 4:53 am

These are amazing! Ordered white, black, and gray!

• Reply stacey May 26, 2017 at 7:05 am

shit. i didn’t know i needed a pill organizer but now i totally do! so sleek and sexy.

• Reply Kari May 26, 2017 at 7:18 pm

Yes, yes, thank you. I bought one immediately.

• Reply Nicole S May 26, 2017 at 8:09 pm

THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! for this post!!! I too have spent countless hours searching and searching for a pill organizer that is not hideous and embarassing!! I’m definitely checking these out!

• Reply Penny May 27, 2017 at 5:02 am

Do share what pills you take at your young age.Vitamins?

• Reply Anna @ D16 May 27, 2017 at 7:28 am

Well, I’m pushing 42, so I’m not sure if I’m at “young age,” but people of all ages can have a need to take medication.

• Reply Raq June 6, 2017 at 12:41 pm

Rude.

• Reply Kim B. May 27, 2017 at 6:19 am

Becca has saved the day!

the ability to change the starting day of the week would also be handy say if you were packing one (a separate one of one’s THREE, of course) for a trip, and your trip started on say a Wednesday. Then you could have your pills all set to go for your trip!

• Reply amy May 27, 2017 at 1:50 pm

When you get one, will you share how much each compartment can fit? My vitamins fit into the same exact pill sorter that you have (the one you linked to on amazon), but just barely — two of the pills are giant. This fancy pill box looks like the compartments are a bit smaller, or just flatter-yet-longer, so it’s hard to tell from the picture.

• Reply Clare June 5, 2017 at 9:22 pm

I emailed the company direct about how many tablets they will fit and they have a picture that I’m sure they’d email to you. The picture I was sent showed 2 fish oil size capsules, 3 smaller size capsultes and 2 tablets.

• Reply Kisha May 29, 2017 at 9:05 am

I don’t even take pills (the occasional allergy or pms pill) but I’m seriously thinking getting one of these now! By the looks of it – you’ve also inspired a whole lot of people to also purchase a new pill box or two…or three! Hopefully Port and Polish sees this post (and notices the spike in orders) and gifts you one or two! (I know that’s not the point of the post but it’d be a lovely gesture!)

Now to go get caught up on the rest of your blog! I’ve missed following along – need to turn my notification on or something…

• Reply Alexa F. May 31, 2017 at 6:51 pm

To add to the semi-attractive pill boxes: Sabi Folio for $20-27 on Amazon. I came across it in a search unrelated to pills (watercolor palettes; someone used a sabi folio and filled them with their colors of choice for painting). Thought of you and this post when it popped up.

• Reply ~B June 1, 2017 at 9:31 am

OMG. This was a need that I’ve had for a while…especially the travel part of it. I’ve packed my long one, but the lids popped open and I had to scrounge through all my stuff looking for my pills. Then I bought a two pack of travel ones that have an outer lid that clicks shut, but those only have 6 compartments in each one. SIX!!! What sort of idiot designs something like that?? I thought I was stuck with these subpar options until now. Thanks to you, I now have a pretty charcoal grey one on its way to me right now!

• Reply cm June 5, 2017 at 8:42 pm

i’ve been on this exact same search! going to take a look at these and wait on your review. like a commenter above, i’d like to know how much you fit in each compartment.
    also dreaming of some kind of dispenser thingy where you just push a lever and all your pills for the day pop out. for some reason opening and closing all the bottles drives me nuts. i GUESS i can handle doing it once a week. 😉

• Reply tanyha June 9, 2017 at 11:32 am

I´ve been using the same pill box since i became sick like 13 yeast ago, maybe it´s time to change for a new cute one.. to bad the shipping to mexico is to expensive 🙁

• Reply Laura June 14, 2017 at 9:08 am

I bought this pill box (in dark blue) prior to a 9-day trip. Works great and I love the slim design. Thanks so much for the tip!

• Reply laurie heller June 25, 2017 at 4:42 pm

I bought it as well. Obsessed!!

• Reply CariStereo July 15, 2017 at 12:02 pm

I’ve been using a cute pillbox from Sanrio of all places (it has a black and white panda on it), but it’s time to upgrade. I almost bought this on Amazon (http://amzn.to/2uqcLLj), however, I like this one better!

Do you like it so far? I might order one next week but would love your opinion on it!

• Reply Kirsten July 31, 2017 at 6:31 pm

Anna, any recommendations for snazzy pill apps? I’m using Medisafe, but it leaves a lot to be desired.

• Reply Kristi Quint August 22, 2017 at 8:13 pm

Thank you for finding this, Anna! I ordered a grey one and love it. It looks so much better when I take it out of my purse than the mini tupperware container or plastic baggie I was using…!

• Reply lap September 3, 2017 at 3:15 pm

Great find! … but nowhere can I find the dimensions. Tiny pills, sure, but what about big ones… i.e., more than one?