Hanging out in the guest bedroom.

We finished the guest bedroom more than six months ago, but we still haven’t had any guests. Boo-hoo! Until someone deems us worthy of visiting, I’ve decided to make a point of hanging out in the guest bedroom from time to time. It’s nice in here!

The salmon-pink plastic Philco radio on top of the credenza still works. I bought it years and years ago at a stoop sale in Brooklyn for $5. I love the sound of old transistor radios, especially to listen to baseball games (even though I have no real interest in baseball). Insta-nostalgia.

I wish I could remember where I got the little clock on top of the mantel. Probably at another Brooklyn stoop sale! I’ve had it forever. (The poster, of course, is from Elisabeth Dunker of Fine Little Day.)

Now doesn’t that look like a nice place to take a nap?

1. jessicaJun 14, 201010:13 pm

looks very cute!

2. AdamJun 14, 201010:31 pm

Name the date!

3. MeghanJun 14, 201011:03 pm

It is so lovely Anna. I love it that you hang out in there.

4. Raspberry SwirlyJun 14, 201011:24 pm

Hey, I’m moving up that way! Maybe I’ll come visit you!

5. devon specJun 14, 201011:43 pm

SOOOOOOOOOOO CUTE and awesome, i’d come to visit you. :)

6. BarbaraJun 15, 20106:19 am

Such nice room :)

7. georginaJun 15, 20108:16 am

so cute!!! like all your house :)

8. carolinaJun 15, 201010:24 am

such a cozy and cute room! i could definitely solve your “not-having-guests” problem… ;) too bad i live in brazil!

9. holly pJun 15, 20102:31 pm

Very cute! I like to hang out in our guest room too sometimes…wouldn’t want it to go to waste :)

10. heatherJun 15, 20103:42 pm

ours has been getting a lot of use lately but the bed is just not big enough in there. i like that yours has a normal sized bed. and i love that blanket!

11. yaseminJun 15, 20104:16 pm

I’d love to sleep there. Beautiful room..

12. BeckyJun 15, 20106:50 pm

These are wonderful pictures. We have a guest room too but it’s rarely used and horribly neglected, although I have had some awesome guests! I am a huge fan of guest bedrooms. We are moving to Boston, MA very soon and we got our new place especially so that we would have a guest room. Yours is especially beautiful and inspirational!

13. ankimoJun 16, 20101:31 am

I love the cushions (cross/dot) on the bed. Could you tell me the source? Thanks.

14. AgnieszkaJun 16, 20101:33 am

Anna, I love this post, fantastic pictures — interesting angles, the bedroom is perfect, like everything in your life, including Evan. ;)

15. Jane LoganJun 16, 20102:32 am

Hi Anna, I live in Sydney Australia and I love reading your blog – so anytime you would like some Aussie guests I would be more than happy to oblige! The room looks great and very inviting!

Cheers
    Jane

16. SueJun 16, 20107:39 am

Didn’t you have the sticka blanket from ikea on that bed? Just curious where you got this one. I love everything about this room, the credenza especially (I’ve been looking for one like that) and I love my Elisabeth Dunker poster so much in that huge ikea frame. Mine is leaning against a wall on the floor and it appears to be bowing, are you having that problem? Wanna show up your bedroom now, I’ve been dying to see it!?

17. traceJun 16, 201010:19 am

For some reason I’m just loving that little clock! I sure hope I can find one around here somewhere.

18. Anna at D16Jun 16, 201010:27 am

@ankimo: The pillows are made from Eames “Dot” fabric.

@Sue: The blanket is from Fjorn. It doesn’t look like they have this exact one anymore, but there are lots of other nice ones! The credenza is mass-produced/American/1960s by Lane. Haven’t had any problems with the frame bowing. (You can see pics of our bedroom by clicking the “house” category. It’s in the front of the house now, which is where it started…)

19. A Merry MishapJun 16, 20102:19 pm

Looks like the perfect place for a nap!

20. read me...Jun 16, 20104:26 pm

I’m surprised you’re not inundated with guests!

21. JamieJun 16, 20106:54 pm

I love the wall color and am noting it as a possibility for my own guest room if and when I ever get the time!

I wanted to thank you for your comment on my blog from late last week. I responded to you there and thought I better let you know here too just in case.

You were my first real (non-spam) commenter, and aside from that, I really appreciated hearing the specifics of your situation. Thank you!

22. erin lang norrisJun 17, 201010:00 am

I love guest bedrooms! Yours is lovely…that little clock is cute!

Ours is still in the works. I wish we could just finish it already because we have guests sleep over about once a month! Soon, hopefully. :)

23. alixroseJun 17, 20109:05 pm

My eye went straight to the radio. Love the color and it makes me happy that it actually works.

24. moparJun 18, 20106:00 pm

Really, no guests? Ever since I started reading this blog I’ve wanted to visit Newburgh. (I kind of like Peekskill.) OK, it’s true we don’t actually know each other, so staying overnight could be premature.

25. SalOct 5, 201012:29 am

Hi Anna, I love what you’ve done and doing to your house. we’ve just a beach cottage and I’m going to paint the Malm bed white too. Could you let me know what type of paint brush or did you spray paint the bed? Many thanks, Sally

26. Anna at D16Oct 5, 20108:31 am

@Sal: I didn’t do anything fancy, really. I sanded lightly, then used my usual primer (Zinsser Bullseye 1-2-3) and my usual trim paint (Benjamin Moore satin finish). I used a regular paintbrush because I didn’t have a roller handy, but I’m sure either would work just fine.