Table lamps from Schoolhouse Electric.

I’m sure everyone and their blogger-brother will be talking about these new lamps from Portland-based Schoolhouse Electric over the next few days (or maybe they already are—I’m weeks behind on blog-reading, so I apologize if this is all old news!), but I can’t resist mentioning them as well because they are just SO perfect. Schoolhouse Electric is such a great company (we have their Truman sconces & Alabax surface-mount lamp in our downstairs bathroom, and their Benedict lamp in our bedroom) and their fixtures are top-quality. I can’t recommend them highly enough. They’ve just introduced a new line of table lamps, and these are my favorites from the collection:

Super nice, right? I love that you can choose from five different colors of cloth-covered twist cords for the ones with visible wiring—that’s such a nice touch. My eyeballs and greed-finger are all over the place right now, but I’m looking really seriously at the Ion Black. We’ve been needing a little bedside reading lamp for the apartment, and I think this might be just the thing…especially with an Edison bulb.

All photos courtesy of Schoolhouse Electric

1. Lori AndrewsMay 12, 20115:50 pm

I saw them this morning, mentioned them to my client in Portland. and voila! she will be getting one :)

2. taraMay 12, 20116:31 pm

Great lamps. Love the poster behind the first lamp photo. It is former Portland mayor, Bud Clark. Imagine having a mayor who is uninhibited enough to do a slightly risque photo like that.

Hee, I was just talking about the photo on Twitter! Such a great photo, and I love the story behind it. :)

3. moparbrownstonerMay 12, 20116:37 pm

Very cute. What are we all going to do when incandescent bulbs are phased out Jan. 1? Think of the hotels and restaurants that will be affected.

Low-wattage Edison bulbs won’t be affected by the phasing out of certain types of incandescent bulbs. The output from the highest-wattage Edison bulb is only about 20 watts. I’m copying this from Wikipedia—it’s an accurate explanation of exactly what is and isn’t going to change:

In December 2007, many of these state efforts became moot when the federal government enacted the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007, which requires all general-purpose light bulbs that produce 310–2600 lumens of light be 30% more energy efficient (similar to current halogen lamps) than current incandescent bulbs by 2012 to 2014. The efficiency standards will start with 100-watt bulbs in January 2012 and end with 40-watt bulbs in January 2014.

Light bulbs outside of this range are exempt from the restrictions (historically, less than 40 Watts or more than 150 Watts). Also exempt are several classes of specialty lights, including appliance lamps, rough service bulbs, 3-way, colored lamps, and plant lights.

By 2020, a second tier of restrictions would become effective, which requires all general-purpose bulbs to produce at least 45 lumens per watt (similar to current CFLs). Exemptions from the Act include reflector flood, 3-way, candelabra, colored, and other specialty bulbs.

4. elsieMay 12, 20117:15 pm

that’s it. that’s what I’ve been searching for and I didn’t even know it! THANK YOU Anna!

5. BronMay 12, 201110:31 pm

What gorgeous lamps! Love them!

6. CaiMay 12, 201111:13 pm

ACH! These are perfect.. I love the rare occasion when products that you’re looking for actually exist. I mean, I really hate lampshades, and I was having a hard time making my lamps look good naked, even with Edison bulbs. Thank you for showing us!

7. MonicaMay 13, 20111:58 am

Love! Want!

8. AnneMay 13, 20112:57 am

These are some seriously cool lamps.

9. anne b.May 13, 20118:43 am

supercool lamps! the first two remind me a little of those beautiful bauhaus table lamps, but with a slightly different vibe.

10. LMay 13, 20119:51 am

Thanks for the link to Edison bulbs! I need a pair, and didn’t know they existed. How far behind the times is that?

Haha, I think about 125 years or so. :D

11. MeganMay 13, 201111:37 am

This just makes me even prouder to be a Portlander.

12. Lornna OlsonMay 13, 201111:52 am

Theses are too cool for school!! I love them !

13. vosgesparisMay 13, 20116:13 pm

I love the styling in these pictures ;)

14. NinaMay 13, 201110:02 pm

Sooo nice! I want the one from the first picture or (and!) the Ion in white with a red cord. Why can’t I have them all? ;)

15. superbeanMay 14, 201112:36 am

*want! want! want!*

ps: if i get, i will tell everyone i offically saw it first here!

16. Nicole FranzenMay 15, 201110:13 am

ooohhhh i wantttttttt

17. Rachel KayMay 15, 201110:37 am

Oh wow, they’re gorgeous! I just did a post last week about a couple of FerroWatt bulbs I picked up in Dublin. Think these bulbs are illegal over here now because of their inefficiency, but they are so darn nice!
    I was wondering where I was going to use them, but one of these lamps would be perfect!

18. LauraMay 15, 201111:57 am

Just read the story behind the poster brilliant.

19. SaharMay 15, 20116:12 pm

Love that first one for my nightstand, it doesn’t look too bright so it might be okay.

20. AmandaMay 15, 20119:56 pm

Ah, they’re awesome.
    Thanks for sharing.
    So pretty!

21. courtneyMay 16, 201111:56 pm

oh these are so very cool. i love them all. i want the one in the first image.

22. olivierMay 24, 20118:40 am

Très Chouette …!
    ;-). Bonjour de France…

23. amanda heer/brooch bouquetsJun 6, 201110:50 am

love your style

24. brandeyeJun 23, 20115:50 pm

it’s not often that i see table lamps that i love, but these i LOVE!

25. fwtistika orofhsMay 11, 20123:13 pm

I really love your blog.. Great colors & theme. Did you make this website yourself?
    Please reply back as I’m planning to create my own personal website and would love to learn where you got this from or exactly what the theme is named. Thank you!

Please read the FAQ page. Thanks!